Premed 101 Forums

I cam across this recently: http://md.utoronto.ca/news/admissions-blog-upgrading-your-gpa?platform=hootsuite

What caught my eye was: 

Another option for applicants who do not meet our GPA requirements is to enroll in a second degree. If there is a significant difference between the GPA of your two degrees, you may apply for special consideration to be assessed on only one of your degrees, as part of the Academic Explanations Essay. The essay will be reviewed by the admissions committee, and no decision on how your application was assessed will be released to you. 

Does anyone know much about the validity of it? I mean, I know it's a silly question because it is on their website so it must be true, but does anyone know of anyone that had this happen to them? I am a recent graduate at a top 3 US school and I am thinking of taking a second degree in psychology through Athabasca to fulfill the GPA requirements.Any information can help! 

6 hours ago, Frederick Sanger said:

I cam across this recently: http://md.utoronto.ca/news/admissions-blog-upgrading-your-gpa?platform=hootsuite

What caught my eye was: 

Another option for applicants who do not meet our GPA requirements is to enroll in a second degree. If there is a significant difference between the GPA of your two degrees, you may apply for special consideration to be assessed on only one of your degrees, as part of the Academic Explanations Essay. The essay will be reviewed by the admissions committee, and no decision on how your application was assessed will be released to you. 

Does anyone know much about the validity of it? I mean, I know it's a silly question because it is on their website so it must be true, but does anyone know of anyone that had this happen to them? I am a recent graduate at a top 3 US school and I am thinking of taking a second degree in psychology through Athabasca to fulfill the GPA requirements.Any information can help! 

If admission posted on their web (this includes their blog) it must hold true to an extent. Your academic explanation essay is the first thing the read prior to doing a full file review. Whether they apply and give you special treatment is unknown since they don't disclose whether they modified aspects of your application based on your explanation essay.