Premed 101 Forums

Undergraduate Degree

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mia. Welcome to the Forum. I do not believe there is an optimal degree for an aspiring vet. I was an aspiring physician and in undergrad, I took a specialization in exercise science or kin, with internships, which gave me a detailed understanding of the workings of the human body and I was able to do rehabilitation work with the elderly, chronically ill, which gave me experience with patients and reinforced my theoretical knowledge. This also gave me a potential Plan B in the event I was not accepted into medicine.

Follow your interests and prepare for a Plan B just in case. GPA is King, so whatever you study, you must do very well academically. I am not aware if there are any prerequisites you are required to take, you will need to check the website of the vet school for that.

The most important attribute you can bring from h.s. is a strong work ethic! This is far more important than h.s. grades. And the transition from h.s. to university can be brutal. There iws nobody telling you what to do, reviewing your work, reminding you. You need to have a maturity and focus of purpose, and not to be distracted by party animals of the wrong type of significant other, all of whom will derail you from your career path before you have a chance. Developing good time and stress management skills are essential, as s going for help when you have academic problems without waiting. Universities have counselling, there is peer tutoring available and you need to know how to study smart for you, what works best for you. It is not the time devoted, rather how to effectively study so that you learn and retain the material. I hope this helps you somewhat. 

On 9/5/2017 at 11:12 AM, Bambi said:

Hi Mia. Welcome to the Forum. I do not believe there is an optimal degree for an aspiring vet. I was an aspiring physician and in undergrad, I took a specialization in exercise science or kin, with internships, which gave me a detailed understanding of the workings of the human body and I was able to do rehabilitation work with the elderly, chronically ill, which gave me experience with patients and reinforced my theoretical knowledge. This also gave me a potential Plan B in the event I was not accepted into medicine.

Follow your interests and prepare for a Plan B just in case. GPA is King, so whatever you study, you must do very well academically. I am not aware if there are any prerequisites you are required to take, you will need to check the website of the vet school for that.

The most important attribute you can bring from h.s. is a strong work ethic! This is far more important than h.s. grades. And the transition from h.s. to university can be brutal. There iws nobody telling you what to do, reviewing your work, reminding you. You need to have a maturity and focus of purpose, and not to be distracted by party animals of the wrong type of significant other, all of whom will derail you from your career path before you have a chance. Developing good time and stress management skills are essential, as s going for help when you have academic problems without waiting. Universities have counselling, there is peer tutoring available and you need to know how to study smart for you, what works best for you. It is not the time devoted, rather how to effectively study so that you learn and retain the material. I hope this helps you somewhat. 

Hello Bambi and thanks for your answer!

And another very important ingredient is to be kind and humble, especially with the vulnerable. Try to do a good deed every day, be a smile or a kind word to another. Contribute to society, not necessarily in an organized fashion. In h.s., I helped out a wheel chair bound Neighbour by going down for her mail, throwing out the garbage, taking her for wheeled walks to smell the flowers and watch the kids play in springtime. In turn, she was the most amazing mentor and my inspiration and motivation towards medicine. I was with her until her death. 

I am always around when needed.

Archived