Premed 101 Forums

Re-applicant session

MEDusa

Hello!

A re-applicant session will be held in September for all applicants who were refused and wish to re-apply. Does anyone know if they will focus more on general questions or can they answer specific questions, such us our ranking, if EXTC were taken into consideration etc, ?

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, interestedinmed99 said:

Is this only available to people who applied last year? Or can anyone attend this?

From their announcement, it sounds like anyone can go but they say that first-time applicants will find it of limited value...but I mean looking at the topic list it certainly looks interesting

p.s. looks it it will viewable afterwards as a webcast

source:

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/channels/event/re-applicant-session-269892

1 minute ago, medium fundamental said:

From their announcement, it sounds like anyone can go but they say that first-time applicants will find it of limited value...

p.s. looks it it will viewable afterwards as a webcast

source:

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/channels/event/re-applicant-session-269892

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3rd time re-applicant here.

I've had the opportunity to have been granted an interview for the last 2 years at mcgill.Normally i would be fairly confident that I would be granted an interview this year as well since last year my rank was about 90 pre-interview. This year with Casper however, I'm not too sure where I would stand, and how great a shot I would have to be granted an interview, any thoughts?

5 minutes ago, guest2017 said:

3rd time re-applicant here.

I've had the opportunity to have been granted an interview for the last 2 years at mcgill.Normally i would be fairly confident that I would be granted an interview this year as well since last year my rank was about 90 pre-interview. This year with Casper however, I'm not too sure where I would stand, and how great a shot I would have to be granted an interview, any thoughts?

90 seems very high. But it depends on your breakdown. If you ranked very highly in the 70% academic portion, and that's what pulled you all the way up to 90, then I wouldn't worry too much about substituting the PN by the CASPer, unless you have good reasons to be very worried about your ability to perform decently on the test (e.g. you type at 20 WPM or something). But if you were pulled up to 90 mostly thanks to an amazing PN, then yes I suppose this year will be a little more unpredictable, but still I would say you have good chances, as I'd imagine anyone ranked that high last year probably has a good GPA. All in all, I think you should be confident! Good luck :)

1 hour ago, MedP111 said:

90 seems very high. But it depends on your breakdown. If you ranked very highly in the 70% academic portion, and that's what pulled you all the way up to 90, then I wouldn't worry too much about substituting the PN by the CASPer, unless you have good reasons to be very worried about your ability to perform decently on the test (e.g. you type at 20 WPM or something). But if you were pulled up to 90 mostly thanks to an amazing PN, then yes I suppose this year will be a little more unpredictable, but still I would say you have good chances, as I'd imagine anyone ranked that high last year probably has a good GPA. All in all, I think you should be confident! Good luck :)

thanks for your reply!definitely thanks to academic portion where i ranked in the top 5... 

i retook my pre-reqs to apply this cycle would be a shame to not even get to that portion..

On 10/19/2017 at 11:34 PM, FutureMD-QC said:

Webcast should've been posted.. not just the audio.

Let us know what they say.

They didn't pick up my call, so I left an e-mail:

Those unable to attend may watch the webcast (audio + slides) which is available here: www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/2017-reapplicant-session 

However, I don't see anything when I click on the link...

Archived