Premed 101 Forums

MED-P admission with a french Bac S

joseph

2 hours ago, joseph said:

Hello,

I want to have information about the condition in the admission to MED-P in McGill with a French Bac S (I'm a canadian citizenship)

Thanks

Hi Joseph, 

This link may be helpful: 

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/fr/postuler/exigences-acad/med-p-conditions-admissions

"Les résidents de Québec inscrits dans un lycée français, un baccalauréat français ou un baccalauréat international doivent compléter les deux années (la première et la terminale pour les lycées et baccalauréats français) au Québec pour pouvoir déposer une demande d'admission au programme Med-P. Ces candidats doivent être en mesure de fournir unr cote-R et une attestation des cours (fournie par l'institution)."

Perhaps there is something I don't understand.

when you say that you have a French bac, I am assuming this means that you have already obtained an undergraduate degree. If this is the case, and assuming you have the prerequisites, then you can go to WES to verify the value of your credits according to our system, and you may well qualify to apply directly to medicine, not for Med-P which is only a pathway open for qualified Cégep graduates from a Quebec Cégep. A bac is far more advanced than a D.E.C.

if you knew that you were perhaps interested in the Med-P program or in applying to a Franco med school in Quebec from Cégep, then your approach should have been immediately after graduating high school in France, to apply for entry to Cégep in Quebec and enter the Quebec system then, or, take your last year of high school in Quebec and enter Cégep as a Quebec resident who is already part of the system, thereby possibly saving years of further formal education to compete for a place in med school in the traditional fashion upon graduating from university.

You should not expect any special consideration due to the fact that you happen to be a Canadian citizen. You are a Canadian citizen who obtained your bac abroad, and as such, you do not qualify to apply for the Med-P. Yusuf need to be competitive as an applicant for med school, having a foreign bac. This puts you in another category entirely and your credits must be assessed so the med school can evaluate the worthiness of your credits according to an established standard, including prerequisites. Then, you need to jump through other hurdles such as CaSPER and a well-rounded CV. And if your GPA does not meet the objective criteria as competitive, you will need to do a bac here in Canada. Nothing is simple, there are no short-cuts, and being Canadian does give you a level playing field in terms of tuition fees but that is it.

21 hours ago, Dovahkiin said:

@ Bambi.

When OP says French bac he means the diploma that you receive after the completion of the Lycée(high school). It's considered equivalent to a DEC. 

A friend just told me of her friend who got into a Franco law school in Quebec with a bac from France. If this is true, if Joseph has the prerequisites, he should contact the Franco med schools to see if he qualifies as a candidate for med school. And no harm also contacting McGill. Sorry about my confusion over the meaning of bac.

Archived