Premed 101 Forums

US or Canadian med schools that weigh MCAT heavily?

yake

Hello,

I'm wondering which US and Canadian med schools weigh the MCAT most highly in the admissions process? I recently took the MCAT and scored a 132/132/132/131, this is the first cycle I'll be applying to med school. I am a Canadian applicant (BC resident).

Thanks!

Wow, congrats on that insane 100th percentile score!

In Canada, you will be guaranteed an interview provided you meet courseload and GPA requirements at Western, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. Depending on your GPA and CASPer, you likely have a great chance at McMaster as well.

If you want to go to the US, you should apply broadly just like everyone else but in your case you can also throw in a handful of top tiers and Ivy leagues in addition to the "low-mid tier" Canadian friendly schools.

Bonne chance! :)

1 hour ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

Wow, congrats on that insane 100th percentile score!

In Canada, you will be guaranteed an interview provided you meet courseload and GPA requirements at Western, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. Depending on your GPA and CASPer, you likely have a great chance at McMaster as well.

If you want to go to the US, you should apply broadly just like everyone else but in your case you can also throw in a handful of top tiers and Ivy leagues in addition to the "low-mid tier" Canadian friendly schools.

Bonne chance! :)

Thanks for the information! Could you give a couple examples of "low-mid tier" US med schools? I'm relatively new to the admissions process and it would be great to have a few schools to base the rest of my information hunting off of :)

4 minutes ago, yake said:

Thanks for the information! Could you give a couple examples of "low-mid tier" US med schools? I'm relatively new to the admissions process and it would be great to have a few schools to base the rest of my information hunting off of :)

I would suggest going through this form subsection http://forums.premed101.com/forum/39-applying-to-american-schools/
There are a lot of experienced people there that have posted their experiences on which schools are/aren't Canadian friendly and the kind of stats required for interview.
Also look into purchasing MSAR.

Great MCAT score.

It is just one part of the application however. And depending on the school, you are definitely not a guarantee to get to the interview stage.  As mentioned above at some schools, you will likely get interviews at due to heavy weight of MCAT pre-interview.  

For US, yes a strong MCAT will be helpful - but similarly your GPA and non-academics will be also important. Especially at top-tier schools, they get plenty of 4.0 515+ MCATs, non-academics and life experience matter alot.

Archived