Premed 101 Forums

Chartered Accountant - Questions

Hi All

First off thanks for reading this post.  I must admit I never thought I would be writing this post, much less thinking one day I may actually have a shot at going to med school.  I understand that some of the admission requirements at certain universities (no pre-reqs) and the MCAT itself has undergone some change in recent years.  I always wanted to pursue a degree in medicine but sold myself short in undergrad and convinced myself I wasn't smart enough.  Instead I got a bachelors of commerce from one of the big universities in Alberta (I am purposely not disclosing which one so I can keep my identity confidential as I will disclose other information later).  I graduated in 2012 with a 3.86 cumulative GPA and thereafter got a job at one of the Big 4 accounting firms where I achieved my chartered accountant (CA) designation.  By the time I actually apply to med school I will have my masters of taxation as well.  For job experience I currently hold an experienced manager position in the tax group of a Big 4 accounting firm.  

Obviously I have not written the MCAT however I plan to start teaching myself the material at night and over the course of the next 6-8 months prepare to write in July, 2018.  If respondents could humor me and assume I score in the 70th percentile on the exam would I even have a shot at the U of C?  Going to med school is something I always dreamed of but as previously stated always sold myself short on.  I have a family (a wife and 2 kids) and it would be a big undertaking for me to give this a shot.  I understand this is just an internet post and people don't know me from Adam but I wanted to get some opinions from others on what my shot would be, any insights into your own personal experiences or any advice one could give me.

Thanks in advance

BauerZ

12 minutes ago, BauerZ said:

Hi All

First off thanks for reading this post.  I must admit I never thought I would be writing this post, much less thinking one day I may actually have a shot at going to med school.  I understand that some of the admission requirements at certain universities (no pre-reqs) and the MCAT itself has undergone some change in recent years.  I always wanted to pursue a degree in medicine but sold myself short in undergrad and convinced myself I wasn't smart enough.  Instead I got a bachelors of commerce from one of the big universities in Alberta (I am purposely not disclosing which one so I can keep my identity confidential as I will disclose other information later).  I graduated in 2012 with a 3.86 cumulative GPA and thereafter got a job at one of the Big 4 accounting firms where I achieved my chartered accountant (CA) designation.  By the time I actually apply to med school I will have my masters of taxation as well.  For job experience I currently hold an experienced manager position in the tax group of a Big 4 accounting firm.  

Obviously I have not written the MCAT however I plan to start teaching myself the material at night and over the course of the next 6-8 months prepare to write in July, 2018.  If respondents could humor me and assume I score in the 70th percentile on the exam would I even have a shot at the U of C?  Going to med school is something I always dreamed of but as previously stated always sold myself short on.  I have a family (a wife and 2 kids) and it would be a big undertaking for me to give this a shot.  I understand this is just an internet post and people don't know me from Adam but I wanted to get some opinions from others on what my shot would be, any insights into your own personal experiences or any advice one could give me.

Thanks in advance

BauerZ

Hi BauerZ,

I just took a cursory look at the application manual for U of C and it looks like Albertans (aka in-province applicants) have to meet a cumulative GPA threshold of 3.2 - which you well exceed. You need to make sure you score well on the MCAT. I would suggest familiarizing with the material on your own before enrolling in a MCAT prep course. I normally recommend MCAT prep courses for applicants without a science background. Do a first pass on your own so you know the basics and it will make the prep course that much more useful.

I come from a non-traditional background as well and I had change of heart in the middle of my career and realized I wanted to do medicine. It is definitely doable and your undergrad cGPA bodes well for you as an in-province candidate. 

If you want to discuss more, DM me!

U of C doesn't look at the MCAT wholistically, which will probably work to your advantage. They focus on the CARS score, with the rest of your scores making up a component of the overall subjective academic score which is going to mean it is worth less (see their applicant manuals for details). 

Your GPA is easily competitive with those accepted at U of C, especially because you may not have accounted for the dropping your worst year policy when disclosing your cGPA. If you have a masters you will also earn additional points.

The biggest thing is going to be your extracurriculars. Having a good job doesn't mean your volunteerism or life experiences (i.e. your top 10) are going to be fantastic. That is a huge part of the application so you should give that some serious consideration.

• 4 weeks later...

You might also want to consider McMaster, if you're willing to move out to Ontario. Their admissions criteria are much more objective, based on your GPA, only the CARS section of the MCAT, and an online test (Casper). You also get a bonus for having completed a masters degree. You don't need any undergraduate science courses and Mac doesn't require any of the science portions of the MCAT. 

I also come from a non-trad background, where I did tax work. If it's something you really want to do and you're willing to make some sacrifices, do it while you still can! 

Archived