Premed 101 Forums

Which bank will most likely approve a loan for USMD?

Roronoaa

Any of the big banks should be viable. Try CIBC or TD first. Make sure to explicitly make an appt with a medical student advisor. Then make sure that you still get prime for a USMD, you will just need a cosigner since its not in Canada. But you shouldnt have to do anything extra, youre not going to the carribean or the likes.

I considered studying in the US and looked into this and talked to medical student financial advisors about it. Canadian banks are a bit strict, but that was 10 years ago for me. If your Dad has a steady income it's better than the situation I was in. My Dad had no steady income from a salaried job, but lots of assets. It caused problems for me. Banks prefer those that make a regular salary. I was rejected by 3-4 different banks, then approved by NBC (at prime). To this day, I don't know how NBC approved an LOC while all the others didn't. Also, I was only approved for a 150K loan. I went fully acknowledging that 150K would not be enough money. In the end, to my surprise, I spent far less than that. The whole situation may be different now though as all this was 10 years ago for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived