Premed 101 Forums

Rural Ties Outside of Canada?

Hello, I am just trying to assess whether my personal history gives me a rural context score that is significant enough for it to be worth applying to NOSM.

Since I immigrated to Canada at the age of 4 and a half, I have essentially lived in only urban centers my whole life - with the closest thing to a rural center likely being Saint John, NB or Halifax, NS. I did however live in a village back in my home country in Eastern Europe for several monthes - between the ages of 3-4. I have also spent weeks worth of times in various rural centers in my home country throughout my life - whenever I go back to visit my family (every 2-3 summers since emigrating). 

I know that theres no official information on how the rural context is evaluated by NOSM, but does anyone know if ties that are Non-Canadian would still give me some kind of significant score? 

Thanks.

15 hours ago, BalkanRelations said:

Hello, I am just trying to assess whether my personal history gives me a rural context score that is significant enough for it to be worth applying to NOSM.

Since I immigrated to Canada at the age of 4 and a half, I have essentially lived in only urban centers my whole life - with the closest thing to a rural center likely being Saint John, NB or Halifax, NS. I did however live in a village back in my home country in Eastern Europe for several monthes - between the ages of 3-4. I have also spent weeks worth of times in various rural centers in my home country throughout my life - whenever I go back to visit my family (every 2-3 summers since emigrating). 

I know that theres no official information on how the rural context is evaluated by NOSM, but does anyone know if ties that are Non-Canadian would still give me some kind of significant score? 

Thanks.

I don't think so. They specifically say that "The context score is based on where you have lived and are living in Canada." To my understanding, the way they calculate the context score is entirely automated. A server uses data from Statistics Canada (population, distance to next big city, etc.) to assign a score to every postal code you have entered. This does not work for locations outside Canada.

I wonder if having lived outside of Canada has some effect on the context score. For instance, I can see the score being calculated in the following two ways:

1) Years lived in each community are divided by the total number of years lived in Canada. This could remove the advantage of older applicants, and give advantage to immigrants who lived in rural Canada.

2) Years lived in each community are simply used to calculate the score.

Archived