Premed 101 Forums

English vs French Stream

Hello,

I am hesitating between applying to the French or English stream. I am completely bilingual, IP, wGPA of 3.97, and have good ECs.

I believe that the French stream is traditionally less competitive but I don't want to go for the less competitive route if there are setbacks that will occur in the future due to this choice. 

My only hesitation with regards to the French stream is residency/future opportunities: if I select the French stream and decide later on I want to pursue a residency in English, or even a residency in the US, would I be at a disadvantage? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

The French stream is a wonderful little family. :) We even have some "simulated clinics" (one-on-one practice with simulated patients, in front of actual doctors who give you feedback) that the English stream doesn't have because we're so few students compared to them. The only disadvantage I can think of is that sometimes the English notes may be a bit better, but that doesn't really matter in the long run because we have access to both the English and the French PowerPoints.

4 hours ago, Cytosine said:

The French stream is a wonderful little family. :) We even have some "simulated clinics" (one-on-one practice with simulated patients, in front of actual doctors who give you feedback) that the English stream doesn't have because we're so few students compared to them. The only disadvantage I can think of is that sometimes the English notes may be a bit better, but that doesn't really matter in the long run because we have access to both the English and the French PowerPoints.

That is so nice to read. Thank you for letting us know. I hope so much to be part of it next year. (And not waitlisted...plz!!)

Greetings to all of you and best of luck for all applicants. :)

- Mr Trout

On 9/19/2017 at 10:25 PM, Donald_Duck said:

Come to the french stream we are a nice family here :) For real its awesome only having 48 in your class. No hurdles whatsoever. My family doctor graduated from uOttawa french stream a while back and shes amazing. Take the less competitive route.

Mr Duck

When applying only to Ottawa french stream (no other school submissions), does the omsas application have to be completed in french? 

You can do it in English for sure, if you think about it If you apply to other English schools you don't have a choice but to write it in English so it wouldn't be fair :P If you apply only in French I would suggest doing it in French tho, you'll have all the French terminology in case they ask you about something at the interview.

Mr Duck

Archived