Premed 101 Forums

Chances (MSc, work experience, 3.7 wGPA, 3.22 cGPA, 513 MCAT)

Hey guys,

Just been trying to figure out realistic chances of getting in at Queens. I believe my ECs are strong (artistic endeavors, MSc research, presentation at conference, published, 3+ years work experience, diverse volunteering and clinical experience, teaching experience and more). I have read that if you have Masters then they don't apparently care if you meet GPA cutoff. But would they still even care about my application if my cGPA is 3.22 and last 2 year GPA is 3.7? MCAT is 513 (and waiting on my second sitting for which I believe my score will be higher). When I had sent an email to Queens asking about this, all they said was that if I have Master's then I do not have to meet GPA cutoff but my GPA still need to be satisfactory. No idea what constitutes satisfactory...?

With a 3.7 GPA you would be very much an outlier in the interview pool.  Queens provides no useful data to compare.  On premed101, you can see a couple of people in the past 2 years, with 3.7ish wGPA that received interviews. Unfortunately they were finished PhDs.  Likewise there were a few people wait-listed with a sub 3.8 wGPA. 

I think you need to apply and see what happens. There may be something in your application that sparks an interest that gets you that all important interview !

1 hour ago, Meridian said:

With a 3.7 GPA you would be very much an outlier in the interview pool.  Queens provides no useful data to compare.  On premed101, you can see a couple of people in the past 2 years, with 3.7ish wGPA that received interviews. Unfortunately they were finished PhDs.  Likewise there were a few people wait-listed with a sub 3.8 wGPA. 

I think you need to apply and see what happens. There may be something in your application that sparks an interest that gets you that all important interview !

Okay thank you. I thought if you have a graduate degree (I have a Masters) then they don't  look at your GPA as much? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/09/2017 at 4:53 PM, ahmadmz said:

Okay thank you. I thought if you have a graduate degree (I have a Masters) then they don't  look at your GPA as much? 

Who told you this? And what're you doing now? If GPA is the restriction, I'd recommend taking a year of undergraduate studies to upgrade your two year GPA 

9 hours ago, getrich said:

Who told you this? And what're you doing now? If GPA is the restriction, I'd recommend taking a year of undergraduate studies to upgrade your two year GPA 

Nah I don't need to do that. I spoke with Queen's directly. In their email and on phone call, they told me that if you have a Master's degree then you only need to meet the cutoff for MCAT and your GPA needs to have an upward trend with cGPA or wGPA (last 2 years) being satisfactory. 

43 minutes ago, ahmadmz said:

Nah I don't need to do that. I spoke with Queen's directly. In their email and on phone call, they told me that if you have a Master's degree then you only need to meet the cutoff for MCAT and your GPA needs to have an upward trend with cGPA or wGPA (last 2 years) being satisfactory. 

any idea how 'satisfactory' is defined? Or whether the degree needs to be defended by the time of application?

52 minutes ago, masterofnone said:

any idea how 'satisfactory' is defined? Or whether the degree needs to be defended by the time of application?

One of the email responses I got from Queen’s:

Graduate applicants that have met the MCAT requirements but not the undergraduate GPA, will be reviewed separately, by the Admissions Committee, from the general pool of applicants.

1.       Applicants must have completed their graduate degree by the August 1 prior to the commencement of medical school;

2.       Marks for undergraduate years must be considered satisfactory or demonstrate a rising trend;

3.       The subcommittee will assess the suitability of the candidates performance and if the graduate degree was completed at an accredited university;

4.       If the subcommittee determines that the applicant is suitable, they will be invited for an interview

1 hour ago, ahmadmz said:

Graduate applicants that have met the MCAT requirements but not the undergraduate GPA, will be reviewed separately, by the Admissions Committee, from the general pool of applicants.

1.       Applicants must have completed their graduate degree by the August 1 prior to the commencement of medical school;

2.       Marks for undergraduate years must be considered satisfactory or demonstrate a rising trend;

3.       The subcommittee will assess the suitability of the candidates performance and if the graduate degree was completed at an accredited university;

4.       If the subcommittee determines that the applicant is suitable, they will be invited for an interview

You the man, ahmadmz. Good luck this cycle, you beautiful human being.

• 3 years later...
On 10/10/2017 at 8:45 PM, ahmadmz said:

So did you get that interview???