Premed 101 Forums

Class 2020 Stats

Nose

On 24/09/2017 at 10:51 PM, s2MD said:

I wouldn't exactly say that the avg CARS score went down.  129.1 vs 128.9 is the same!  It does look like there were slightly more people from other provinces.

It's still a about 12% of a standard deviation. It's not totally insignificant when you consider the competitiveness of the admission process.

3 hours ago, jul059 said:

It's still a about 12% of a standard deviation. It's not totally insignificant when you consider the competitiveness of the admission process.

that is still pretty close :) I would have to do the math but I suspect with the population size that would still be within expected deviation to be considered unchanged. 

On 10/2/2017 at 9:23 PM, jul059 said:

Why must premeds obsess and be so neurotic? .... 

On 10/9/2017 at 10:28 AM, jul059 said:

That's a very useless comment. Congratulations, you must have outdone yourself!

I just sincerely hope you don't draw such hasty conclusions about your future patients. Whatever your reasons were for saying that, you know absolutely nothing about be, and that sentence you read is insufficient to draw the conclusions you did.

Think about it. Seriously.

I apologize if it came across as hasty but your post came across as snooty.  Anyhow, you can keep thinking that the difference between an avg score of 128.9 vs. 129.1 is significant and I'll do the opposite.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:32 AM, BoopityBoop said:

Can we all just be nice to each other?

ha - my thoughts exactly !

I mean this entire process is stressful enough without adding to it. Particularly at key points - application due time, interviews, and of course admission days. 

People seem a little extra grumpy lately - venting is ok, but personal attacks aren't :) 

On 10/14/2017 at 9:10 PM, rmorelan said:

Honestly the entire system of admission doesn't help in that regard. Too many applicants, too few spots, and a real degree of rules being arbitrary and unforgiving at times. 

and just to add to that - another part of the problem is that most of know someone whose "neurotic" tendencies were very important in helping them get into medical school. Hyper awareness of things, triple checking, endless clarifying what was expected, reviewing every single test/assignment etc. All pushing 79->80, 84->85, 89->90.... to hit those GPA curves, be just a bit better than everyone around you, and generally driving both themselves and everyone around them nuts.  

It sucks because often it is a distraction from the learning - and selects effectively for people with a very rule, clear goal directed success and ways of thinking into a field that actually doesn't have that kind of clarity at all clinically at all (uncertainty drives a lot of new medical students nuts) and probably overly competitive people. At least competitive in the wrong way ha - we are all how can I be even better at X over Y (even if I break A, B, C... in order to do it), instead of how can we as a hospital system provide better care today than yesterday. 

Archived