Premed 101 Forums

Hole punching timing advice?

Currently I'm using Bootcamp as my sole resource for the PAT section and the hole punching section is giving me some trouble. I can get to the correct answer almost every time but I can't do all the questions in my head. For every question I first try to do it mentally. If I can do it then great, I'm done in 20-30 seconds and can move on. But if I can't then I have to draw out a 4x4 grid and follow along. This takes me anywhere from 60-90 seconds and causes me to run out of time on other sections. I also don't know if I can do a question mentally or not until I try it so that wastes even more time.

I understand that the Canadian DAT is all paper based so can anybody offer some insight on how this changes things? Can we write directly on the question and would it be faster to do all the hole punching questions on paper instead of wasting time checking if I could do it in my head or not? It seems like being able to write directly on the question would save some time off drawing grids out.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, dentkid12 said:

I drew a grid for every single question. I found that trying to do it in your head just leads to errors and can even take longer in some cases. I would just practice getting good at drawing the grid for every question, it really doesn't add that much time. 

He doesn’t even go here!

I gotta agree. Drawing a grid for every question helps avoid mistakes but it does take up valuable time. At least this is what i found. Luckily, our DAT being on paper does help a lot since we can just draw on the paper directly.
But I guess for now just draw the grid on a piece of paper as you do the questions electronically. It probably won't take away from the actual concept. Alternatively, DATcrusher has printable generators now if you want to practice on paper or you can just reuse your CDA manual.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-09-26 at 10:52 PM, Super Nova said:

I gotta agree. Drawing a grid for every question helps avoid mistakes but it does take up valuable time. At least this is what i found. Luckily, our DAT being on paper does help a lot since we can just draw on the paper directly.
But I guess for now just draw the grid on a piece of paper as you do the questions electronically. It probably won't take away from the actual concept. Alternatively, DATcrusher has printable generators now if you want to practice on paper or you can just reuse your CDA manual.

So on the real thing you can draw directly on the question?

Did really well on the PAT and what worked for me was doing all the sections I am good at first and then come back to the hard section. For me it was the angle ranking section. 

I found for hole punching, just draw directly on the question as it folds worked really well for me.  

Good luck!

Archived