Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
sp4168

ADHD in top 10

Recommended Posts

I think goleafsgochris is just trying to help here, i'm glad you got in and showed us that you can still get into medical school with a disclosure. Medical school is slowly becoming a friendlier place in these cases, however, the medical profession in practice, residency applications, licensing etc. can be a different story entirely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as it’s a careful and calculated decision, I think it makes sense. Especially if you need to disclose to include ECs in your application or something.

Some diagnoses are also more stigmatized than others. Something like borderline personality disorder, for instance, or even bipolar, could be a way bigger issue than ADHD. 

In my own substantial and longstanding lived experience, stigma is still a huge issue. I would hate to see someone expect safety and get a nasty surprise - at any stage of their career process in medicine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sp4168 said:

 

To be honest, I think your attitude here is a good example of stigma in our profession and I think you should take some time to consider whether it may just be you who is discriminatory. The mere concept of trying to put a 20-25% number on whether someone will be "screwed over" by disclosing adversity (in an application explicitly encouraging them to do so) is offensive. 

I mean, you created a thread asking whether people think its a good idea.  I gave advice based on my experience.  For the record, I'm trying to help people not potentially torpedo their own application.  You took a risk and it paid off (potentially).  And I'm saying its my opinion that that was not a risk I would recommend taking.   Its odd that you feel I have an issue with adversity because I think others may have an issue with certain types of adversity.  Does that really logically follow to you?  If you create a thread asking a question, I'm not sure why you are offended when people answer in the way you don't want.  I don't think this should be a forum to just tell everyone they did great, I think it should be to give people the most accurate advice they can to help future applicants.  Not to be rude but if you just want positive responses, maybe your parents are better to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, goleafsgochris said:

I mean, you created a thread asking whether people think its a good idea.  I gave advice based on my experience.  For the record, I'm trying to help people not potentially torpedo their own application.  You took a risk and it paid off (potentially).  And I'm saying its my opinion that that was not a risk I would recommend taking.   Its odd that you feel I have an issue with adversity because I think others may have an issue with certain types of adversity.  Does that really logically follow to you?  If you create a thread asking a question, I'm not sure why you are offended when people answer in the way you don't want.  I don't think this should be a forum to just tell everyone they did great, I think it should be to give people the most accurate advice they can to help future applicants.  Not to be rude but if you just want positive responses, maybe your parents are better to ask.

3

I was looking for feedback months ago, and I received genuine and helpful suggestions from both sides of the issue at that time. I considered them all thoughtfully, including your own contributions, so I am not sure why you are suggesting I might be better off receiving coddling from my parents. You said you didn't mean to be rude, but that is actually quite rude.

Your recent response to my question also came after I had already provided evidence that perhaps admissions at certain schools are moving in a less stigmatizing direction. So you can imagine how I might have questioned your intention in writing that post, whether it was really to provide meaningful feedback, or whether it was to further your own personal agenda. It really came across like you were trying to squash out any possibility of this happening again in the future. In fact, "close to 0% likely". My entire point was that I wouldn't recommend everyone do this, that I would be careful about which information is provided to which school, and to really make sure any disclosure has a purpose. Yet, you still felt the need to chime in with your oppressive attitude, saying "no, that's almost never going to work, and that's not why you got into medical school". That's clearly not what I was suggesting, and I am no longer sure how better to explain myself.

To any future applicants reading this thread, please don't be discouraged by goleafsgochris. As I've reiterated multiple times by now, be careful and disclose only with a purpose if you are willing to take the risk. Do so only to schools willing to listen to stories of adversity. 

That is all I have left to say on this issue. I will not be checking this thread again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sp4168 said:

 It really came across like you were trying to squash out any possibility of this happening again in the future. In fact, "close to 0% likely".

I didn't sense that at all. The delivery may have been blunt, but goleafsgochris is just sharing what they have seen going through medical school and residency. I think most other future applicants reading this thread will appreciate the realism and the fact that their senior colleagues are taking the time to alert them of potential pitfalls that lie ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sp4168 said:

I was looking for feedback months ago, and I received genuine and helpful suggestions from both sides of the issue at that time. I considered them all thoughtfully, including your own contributions, so I am not sure why you are suggesting I might be better off receiving coddling from my parents. You said you didn't mean to be rude, but that is actually quite rude.

Your recent response to my question also came after I had already provided evidence that perhaps admissions at certain schools are moving in a less stigmatizing direction. So you can imagine how I might have questioned your intention in writing that post, whether it was really to provide meaningful feedback, or whether it was to further your own personal agenda. It really came across like you were trying to squash out any possibility of this happening again in the future. In fact, "close to 0% likely". My entire point was that I wouldn't recommend everyone do this, that I would be careful about which information is provided to which school, and to really make sure any disclosure has a purpose. Yet, you still felt the need to chime in with your oppressive attitude, saying "no, that's almost never going to work, and that's not why you got into medical school". That's clearly not what I was suggesting, and I am no longer sure how better to explain myself.

To any future applicants reading this thread, please don't be discouraged by goleafsgochris. As I've reiterated multiple times by now, be careful and disclose only with a purpose if you are willing to take the risk. Do so only to schools willing to listen to stories of adversity. 

That is all I have left to say on this issue. I will not be checking this thread again.

 

1 hour ago, Lactic Folly said:

I didn't sense that at all. The delivery may have been blunt, but goleafsgochris is just sharing what they have seen going through medical school and residency. I think most other future applicants reading this thread will appreciate the realism and the fact that their senior colleagues are taking the time to alert them of potential pitfalls that lie ahead.

I didn't get that sense either ... I mean @sp4168 you said it yourself that it is a risk and requires considerable thought to be put in. I certainly can't say that your situation is a common thing that people disclose during medical school admissions. @goleafsgochris was just harsher in his/her approach but it is not to say that's wrong either. 

More importantly... let's just accept your acceptance as circumstances working out and call it a day... no need for this hostility. 

- G 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×