Premed 101 Forums

Copy and pasting into OMSAS

I just saw this post from the U of T admissions facebook page: 

Please do NOT copy and paste your answers into OMSAS. When you do this, we receive wingdings instead of your answers to the questions. Please ensure you type your answers directly into the field on OMSAS. [...] Everything does seem okay when you copy and paste on your end, but when we receive them, we only receive characters.

Does anybody know if this is only content copy-pasted from Word, or if plain text sources like Notepad would be OK? I've copy-pasted most of my application and I don't want to manually retype all of it if I don't have to (but I will if I do, obviously).

2 hours ago, Meridian said:

wingdings is a font that is not alphabetic but instead has funny symbols for each letter.   There are problems when you copy/paste from a word processor source that is not using a default font.  The paste may show up as illegible to them (or wingdings!)

Is there a way to tell whether the paste shows up properly or not?? I.e. if it looks fine on the OMSAS preview?

15 hours ago, pbjtime said:

Is there a way to tell whether the paste shows up properly or not?? I.e. if it looks fine on the OMSAS preview?

If it looks fine on the preview after submitting, the it's fine. But be careful, it kept removing all apostrophes on my computer. Very hard to catch if you just skim over the preview!

Archived