Premed 101 Forums

University of Ottawa french (hidden minimum gpa)

Hello everyone.

i hope you are all doing fine. i have a question regarding the hidden minimum gpa for successful applicant in the uOttawa french stream. i'am currently in my third year undergrad in biomedical sciences and i'am applying this year to uOttawa. my weighted gpa (using only full time sessions and dismissing summer courses while multiplying my second year x 2) is a 3.8222 gpa. i know that for gatineau residents the minimum for applying is a 3.7 and that is fine. but since there is no available information at all regarding the averages of each years successful applicants or interviewees. i can only speculate upon what my chances are to get an interview. i was told by one of my professors that my chances to get an interview is a 3.822 is 0. so i would like to have some input from anyone in the know, or who is currently in the french stream and knows the lowest gpa in their class or some kind of average.

thank you all and sorry for my horrible english.

Bonjour karl heider,

Ne t'inquiete pas! Ton professeur probablement a parlé de le volet anglophone, dont la moyenne ponderée est aux parages de 3.92-3.93. Ceci est reflechi par le fait que une moyenne ponderée de 3.85 est requis pour postuler à le volet anglophone. Par contre le volet francophone est beaucoup moins competitif :) tu n'auras aucune probleme par rapport a votre moyenne. Il faut simplement mettre une effort envers CASPer, et tu as une chance pas mal a recevoir une entrevue.

Je m'excuse pour mon francais affreux, je postule aussi pour le volet francais mais le francais c'est pas ma langue maternelle!

Bonne chance!

P.S. Your English is good!

Thank you for your quick response.

the professor was aware i'am applying to the french stream and he still said a 3.82 gpa is a lost cause to get an interview. i'll do my best in CASPER but i remain realistic. do you have any tips for CASPER preparation in french ? thank you again for your quick and encouraging response ! and i wish you all the best in your application !

Just now, karl heider said:

Thank you for your quick response.

the professor was aware i'am applying to the french stream and he still said a 3.82 gpa is a lost cause to get an interview. i'll do my best in CASPER but i remain realistic. do you have any tips for CASPER preparation in french ? thank you again for your quick and encouraging response ! and i wish you all the best in your application !

A 3.82 is not a lost cause.. that I can tell you for sure. How do you feel about your OMSAS sketch? 

As far as CASPer prep goes, browse this forum for some tips, the French CASPer is the same as English but in French, so those tips work the same.

Just now, SoraAde said:

A 3.82 is not a lost cause.. that I can tell you for sure. How do you feel about your OMSAS sketch? 

As far as CASPer prep goes, browse this forum for some tips, the French CASPer is the same as English but in French, so those tips work the same.

i think my omsas sketch is good, maybe above-average (i have no objective way to mesure it). alot of volunteering in hospitals, clinics, community centers, (i did shadow a doctor who worked for a mining company and we got to inspect mining shafts etc), research etc .... and some abroad activities

the problem i feel, is my gpa (i'll try to get it to 3.91 this year). for CASPER i'll do the exam next sunday and i'am working on it (making a word bank that i can use etc). i know that i can make up for my gpa with a good interview and life experiences, but i was told with a gpa lower than 3.85 you can forget about getting an interview even with a crazy OMSAS sketch. 

It is true that there is a GPA cutoff (above the one used to apply) in order to eliminate candidates, same goes for Casper. That being said, you should always apply regardless if you meet criterias, and if it dosent work; improve and reapply. For french stream I would highly doubt the cutoff is more than 3.8! Some people got in with 3.7s and 3.8s in the recent couple of years. Try and good luck :)

Mr Duck

Archived