Premed 101 Forums

I'm wondering if anyone had any advice to give or information on potentially transferring between Canadian medical schools for clerkship. To my understanding, some schools accept full transfers into their program starting in 3rd year (for 4 year programs) and others, while not allowing full transfers, will allow students to do core clinical rotations at their centre during their clerkship (so they still get their degree from their initial institution). I ask because I'm getting married this coming summer and I would like to be closer to my spouse who is fixed in Montreal. Ideally I'd like to be within a few hours drive of Montreal, but just about any Ontario school will work.

Thanks!

Define "fixed" in montreal? TBH i highly doubt schools will allow a transfer in this situation, since its not really the same as other compassionate grounds(at least from what you presented) such as a family member suddenly becoming ill etc. I have never heard of a school allowing one to do core rotations at their institution while retaining status at main school, that sounds complex from an accredidation perspective..

Best to call schools and ask to be directed to the appropriate person to ask directly.

Someone I went to school with with transfered from McGill to MUN when their spouse was matched there for residency. They transfered at the start of 4th year. Graduated at the end of 4th year with a MUN MD. 

I expect transfer policy is quite variable across the country and even between individuals. 

4 hours ago, NLengr said:

Someone I went to school with with transfered from McGill to MUN when their spouse was matched there for residency. They transfered at the start of 4th year. Graduated at the end of 4th year with a MUN MD. 

I expect transfer policy is quite variable across the country and even between individuals. 

I think that the schools mentioned and Manitoba are the only ones that consider transfers by looking through AFMC admissions documentation.   Besides a case by case approach, do you mean that different policies will be available depending on an individual at a given institution?      

2 hours ago, calcan said:

I think that the schools mentioned and Manitoba are the only ones that consider transfers by looking through AFMC admissions documentation.   Besides a case by case approach, do you mean that different policies will be available depending on an individual at a given institution?      

I'd imagine that they'd look at the reason for the request and then make decisions based on that. They'd probably consider something like family member terminally ill differently than new boyfriend/girlfriend in another city. That's just a guess however.

2 hours ago, NLengr said:

I'd imagine that they'd look at the reason for the request and then make decisions based on that. They'd probably consider something like family member terminally ill differently than new boyfriend/girlfriend in another city. That's just a guess however.

Ok - that's what I thought you were suggesting.  And, yes I agree that rational would be important.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the responses! Totally forgot about this thread, hence the late response.

An update on my situation for onlookers with similar questions. I contacted University of Ottawa and Queen's because they were the only school locations that would help my situation. Ottawa declined my request to transfer because I was denied an interview when I last applied there 2 years ago (pretty stupid in my opinion). Queens, on the other hand, said that while they don't allow for full transfers, they would be willing to work with my curriculum coordinator to arrange for me to do as many core clinical rotations there as they could offer. I'm currently waiting to hear back from my associate dean and curriculum coordinator, which at this moment are the limiting factors.

25 minutes ago, TripJay said:

Thanks for all the responses! Totally forgot about this thread, hence the late response.

An update on my situation for onlookers with similar questions. I contacted University of Ottawa and Queen's because they were the only school locations that would help my situation. Ottawa declined my request to transfer because I was denied an interview when I last applied there 2 years ago (pretty stupid in my opinion). Queens, on the other hand, said that while they don't allow for full transfers, they would be willing to work with my curriculum coordinator to arrange for me to do as many core clinical rotations there as they could offer. I'm currently waiting to hear back from my associate dean and curriculum coordinator, which at this moment are the limiting factors.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you ask McGill? They're right in Montreal

51 minutes ago, TripJay said:

Lol yea I should have mentioned that I also contacted McGill despite their very explicit policy regarding not allowing transfers, and got the expected answer.

That's a shame. Hope it works out with Queen's, and congratulations in advance on your upcoming marriage!

Archived