Premed 101 Forums

-

BernieMac

4 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

Hello all,

Interviewed last year and scored 20% percentile on the MMI, would like to score 60% percentile+ this go around if I am invited again. Essentially, I would like to go from a significantly below average interview score to a slightly above average interview score. I have reflected on the things that I think contributed to my sub-par score and would like advice on how to improve them.

1) I don't smile much in interviews...it doesn't help that I have a deep voice and I am tall, so I am afraid I come across as too intimidating when that is not my intention...how do I change this? I saw people at my interviews (females in particular) that seemed so outgoing and bubbly etc and I don't know how/if I should be like that. I am just naturally reserved. 

2) When given a prompt my mind tries to think of what I think they want to hear as opposed to my own thoughts...this is stemming from the fact that I think there is a correct answer they want to hear...is that a myth? How do I change my thinking to be more genuine.

3) I don't have much information about medical ethics...I am going to read up on that. 

In general, are there any interview tips? How common is it for people to go from significantly below average to slightly above average? I read on here that people have gone from scores as low as 6% percentile one year to 60%+ the next year. At the same time I read stories of people who only score +/-5% in interviews in later years.

1) While how you conduct yourself and your mannerisms do matter at the interview as much as what you say, I do not think you being reserved or serious played too significant part of a role here. Ofc, I am just speculating as I did not see your actual performance, but I think most people are serious and understand the weight of these interviews. To most, the MMI is it - it makes or breaks the application. I was definitely on the serious side and I am naturally an introvert, but don't let these qualities get in your head as affecting your performance. Don't act bubbly or attempt to, it's not you. In the same vein, try to be present. Don't be so overwhelmed with stress that you become stern and unresponsive. Be articulate and clear and make eye contact. 

2) Your approach is what matters. What distinguishes a good interviewee from a bad interviewee is your reasoning and how you approach things. Reading some books on how to approach ethical problems may help to provide a framework to reason through problems, but as you probably know when you are reading the scenario cards during MMI, the last thing you want to do is be a robot.

3) I found this website created by the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ) to be very helpful in giving me some of the current topics and themes in bioethics: http://www.cmaj.ca/site/misc/bioethics_e.xhtml

There really isn't one formula to acing an interview. And most of the time, you probably won't even know that you "aced" it. But what you can do is make sure you are able to be responsive, alert, and articulate in your response that highlights your ability to reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived