Premed 101 Forums

McMaster LifeSci or UOttawa HealthSci?

Hello!

I am considering either McMaster Life Sciences or UOttawa Health Sciences with a minor in Life Sciences as a possible premed program. If there are any former or current students at those two programs, please comment your experiences with the program and if you would recommend it to a future student. Any other program suggestions are also welcome :)

Thanks!

UOttawa is a very bilingual school. If you are bilingual, there are a lot of opportunities available at the school and in the city for involvement. If not, some classes, lab or school positions may be restricted. I wish I knew that before enrolling.

The largest science classes hold roughly 400 people which is smaller compared to some other institutions. I believe most health science classes are significantly smaller. 

The health science courses cover mostly social health, so a minor in life sciences is good to cover your basic science classes for the MCAT and keep your eligibility for other professional health fields.  :) Not in the health sciences program myself, but I did know a few people in it who have been accepted to med, so it is a decent program.

25 minutes ago, caramilk said:

UOttawa is a very french oriented school. If you are billingual, there are a lot of opportunities available at the school and in the city for involvement. If not, some classes, lab or school positions may be restricted. I wish I knew that before enrolling.

The largest science classes hold roughly 400 people which is smaller compared to some other institutions. I believe most health science classes are significantly smaller. 

The health science courses cover mostly social health, so a minor in life sciences is good to cover your basic science classes for the MCAT and keep your eligibility for other professional health fields. Currently finishing a minor in life sciences and would really recommend it. You have your basic science courses covered and then have the freedom to choose upper year science electives that interest you, rather than being locked in like some other programs. :) Not in the health sciences program myself, but I did know a few people in it who have been accepted to med, so it is a decent program.

Thank you for your response! What major would you recommend to go along with the minor in life sciences if I were to pursue premed-related undergraduate studies?

12 hours ago, youngseedling said:

Thank you for your response! What major would you recommend to go along with the minor in life sciences if I were to pursue premed-related undergraduate studies?

I would recommend choosing any discipline that interests you and you would be able to do really well in academically. If you don't want to commit to a certain discipline, there is also a general 3 and 4 year degree with the option of adding two minors or two majors etc. The general science, social science, or arts degree gives you a lot of freedom to take different electives in different disciplines if you don't want to commit to one field. 

46 minutes ago, caramilk said:

I would recommend choosing any discipline that interests you and you would be able to do really well in academically. If you don't want to commit to a certain discipline, there is also a general 3 and 4 year degree with the option of adding two minors or two majors etc. The general science, social science, or arts degree gives you a lot of freedom to take different electives in different disciplines if you don't want to commit to one field. 

Thank you so much for you response! I will definitely look into some of the general programs :)

Archived