Premed 101 Forums

First steps for a Canadian looking at US MD/DO schools

fremulon

I'm a 3rd year undergraduate student that applied this cycle to 4 universities in Ontario (Toronto Mac Ottawa Queens). I don't have a dual citizenship. I wish to practice in Canada eventually but beggers can't be choosers :/

Does anyone have experience applying to a US MD/DO schools from Canada?

Or any advice for how I should begin and the timeline of the process? I plan on applying US MD/DO next cycle (4th year) potentially.

Here's some stats (Yes I know they're high, but you guys know how much of a crapshoot it is. I've many friends with good applications that somehow didn't get in)

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 132 129 132 132 (525)

SWOMEN

Wow that MCAT is delicious. I'm not applying to Ontario but it makes me so sad that people with stats like yours have to be so concerned about their chances. We live in tough times. What are the chances usually like for people like you? Are they really that bad?

I really hope you do get in somewhere this cycle, and I would assume you do have a very good shot! And even if it takes you a few tries to get in somewhere in Canada (which I don't think you'll need many of), perhaps that extra year or two are still more worth it than all the $$$$$ you'll be shelling out for going to the US.

But anyway, I don't really know what exactly you're looking for, but do know that many/most US schools function on a rolling basis, so it will in your interest to complete your applications ASAP (June-ish, don't wait until like late August).

Fortunately, or unfortunately, with numbers like that, no mid- or low-tier US MD program will look at you, believing that you'll be snatched up by a top 10 and ruin their acceptance/matriculation ratio. At this point, you need to get really good extracurriculars, because that'll be what makes or breaks your application. Don't bother with DO. In the highly unlikely event you don't make it into med this year, when you apply to AMCAS, make sure to submit your primary application no later than 7 days after it opens for submission, and ensure your secondary applications and letters are submitted/received before the end of July.

Celcius - you are thinking too far ahead.   Concentrate on your 4 Ontario applications for this cycle.  With your GPA/MCAT you will get multiple interviews. You have a Casper to write - do prep for that.    You should be thinking next about interview prep.  You can have perfect GPA/MCAT but it is the interview that gets you the Offer.

@Meridian I wrote my CASPer last Sunday Oct 15th so my job for this cycle is pretty much done. Now, we wait. I'm going to prep for interviews over the December break and hopefully get to use them this cycle. Any advice for that? I've a few books and will look into doing some prep with my school student success center. Also recording myself and what not

@YesIcan55 I promise you I'm not trolling, I guess that makes me extremely deluded :o I hope you're right, although I feel lik you'll need your hands. I've just heard horror stories of people with 3.9X and 52X MCATs, good CARS not get any interviews. I know my post comes off a paranoid or neurotic, and I wish there was some other way to present it but it's just the reality I guess.

Archived