Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
hardlyeasy

Making the most of your Scotia credit cards

Recommended Posts

Hello all!

I signed my LOC with Scotia and received the Gold AMEX as well as the ScotiaGold Passport Visa Card.

I was wondering if anyone had a good method of which card to use for what.

If I'm understanding it correctly, the AMEX seems to give more points that the Visa, but the Visa seems like it is more useful for travel rewards?

Should I be using AMEX as much as I can? Should the Visa just be used for booking airline tickets?

Let me know if you guys have a better understanding of the rewards program.

I'm looking to maximize points for travelling for carms interviews.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important thing to check is to get your sign-up bonus points. (I think AMEX gives you $250 almost worth for points). 

AMEX is not accepted everywhere - for instance, you won't be able to use it at Costco. However, there is a 1:4 points for dining out, movies, groceries, and gas. So for every point you would normally get on your VISA, you get 4. 

I usually use AMEX for groceries and movies. If you eat out a lot, try to see if they accept AMEX - for instance, McDonalds and select Tim's does. That's your most profitable yield. 

VISA is easy - it just gives you 1:1. So pretty easy. 

Also - the scotiarewards center often has good deals on flights. I think I found a flight back home for less than Expedia. You could use your point first, or just pay through using your VISA card - for both cards it's still 1:1. 

Overall - what I do is I hand them my AMEX first, see if they accept it. If they don't, then I use the VISA. 

I think that the points aren't limited to the card, it's a collective pool - that's what my advisor explained to me but I havent' personally checked this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also one other thing - the AMEX has pretty good travel insurance, and I think even car rental insurance. So I would purchase tickets/trips through there, and call the credit card line to make sure they know that you'll be travelling. 

PS: costco and costco gas, sadly do not accept amex or visa. However your scene debit card collects some scene points, which is good for cinephiles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AAAmeds said:

What if you have the AMEX and the infinite momentum VISA card? Which one I should use mainly and where?

I use the infinite momentum for gas, groceries, drug stores, recurring payments (phone bill, etc). I use the Amex for entertaiment and food. All other purchases, I use the infinite momentum. This maximizes the 2&4% cash back from the momentum, as well as 4x the points on Amex for food and entertaiment. You get 1% back on everything else with the infinite so I use that for all other purchases. For flights, I check the scotia rewards site first but usually I book through the airline using the visa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Coronaxtra said:

I use the infinite momentum for gas, groceries, drug stores, recurring payments (phone bill, etc). I use the Amex for entertaiment and food. All other purchases, I use the infinite momentum. This maximizes the 2&4% cash back from the momentum, as well as 4x the points on Amex for food and entertaiment. You get 1% back on everything else with the infinite so I use that for all other purchases. For flights, I check the scotia rewards site first but usually I book through the airline using the visa. 

Thanks!! I also have another mastercard with 1.5% cashback. Should I use that just for "other purchases"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 2:43 PM, distressedpremed said:

The most important thing to check is to get your sign-up bonus points. (I think AMEX gives you $250 almost worth for points). 

Oh thanks for the reminder! For some reason, I thought the bonus didn't include medical students since the fee is already being waived for us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 11:43 AM, distressedpremed said:

The most important thing to check is to get your sign-up bonus points. (I think AMEX gives you $250 almost worth for points).

How/where do you get the $250 bonus points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I signed up, you get an amount of points for signing up for the card - I think it's around $250 in value but in terms of points it's 30K 

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html 

And then the passport has a sign-up bonus too 

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,89,00.html 

So all in total it's around 35K points, whatever that comes out to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, distressedpremed said:

When I signed up, you get an amount of points for signing up for the card - I think it's around $250 in value but in terms of points it's 30K 

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html 

And then the passport has a sign-up bonus too 

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,89,00.html 

So all in total it's around 35K points, whatever that comes out to 

Thanks for all your advice!

I'm still a little confused about the sign-up bonus.

I already received the credit cards because my advisor arranged the sign-up/approval so I never had to use the sign-up links you posted.

So is it too late to get the bonus points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hardlyeasy said:

Thanks for all your advice!

I'm still a little confused about the sign-up bonus.

I already received the credit cards because my advisor arranged the sign-up/approval so I never had to use the sign-up links you posted.

So is it too late to get the bonus points?

No you should get them automatically when you sign up...

AMEX - takes 3 months for the points to show up

and Passport VISA should show up within a month I think 

If anything ask your advisor for help/more details 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, distressedpremed said:

No you should get them automatically when you sign up...

AMEX - takes 3 months for the points to show up

and Passport VISA should show up within a month I think 

If anything ask your advisor for help/more details 

Those points are only if you spend $750 within the first 3 months right? Or do you get automatic points for signing up for the card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AAAmeds said:

So you should spend $750 in the first three months to get the bonus? Otherwise you don't?

Yes I believe so from the site: http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html 

30,000 Scotia Rewards bonus points,with your first $750 in everyday purchases in first three months. Plus, first year annual fee waiver1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...