Premed 101 Forums

Okay I know 6 is a lot but please read.

I started a degree online back in 2013 and hated it. I pretty much neglected it because my parents borderline forced me (as I had a good job in a small town without a Uni). It was in HR and after i just didn't bother with the first semester but said I would give it a second go - same outcome. Not one ounce of me took it seriously nor thought about long term outcome.

ANYWAYS, since then i've been doing my psychology degree, full course load and in class (I relocated). I have a 3.8 GPA and have been volunteering for 3 years now. I've submerged myself in the "premed" lifestyle and course load, EC's, etc. Until the other day I realized that my online FAIL is now haunting me.

So my question is. Has anyone ever omitted transcripts from their application and if I submit them will they even CONSIDER having me in for an interview? My cumulative GPA with 6 fails seems like something I can't make a come back from.

Please don't judge I'm in a pretty deep mental rut about this already.

The ethical answer is to send them

...that being said, if I were in your shoes, I have to admit I would consider the "unethical choice" and say nothing.  Note that if you were caught doing this they would terminate your application.  For online courses, I really have no idea what the chances are that theyd find out.  Again tho, my official advice is to send them haha

As has previously been mentioned on the forum, failure to submit transcripts on an application could result in serious consequences.  The good news is, most universities (Mac excepted) have a forgiveness policy with regards GPA and thus even 6 failed courses could be dropped in weighted GPA calculations (or last 2 years,..).  Check the policies at the med schools that you're IP at.  To be honest, to be admitted to any uni usually requires sending all previous transcripts, so your current degree situation if without disclosure of previous studies is ethically sticky too.  

14 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

Submit them. You can still make it in schools that look at latest undergrad, 2y, 3y, etc. If you get caught you are absolutely done. In terms of fairness it's also a really shitty thing to do. I've failed a class, I've gotten a whole bunch of C's, still ended up getting in.

Agreed thanks 

Honestly. I failed out of an online masters degree (failed out, seriously). I brought it to an academic advisor at a Canadian med school and she told me that they don’t even look at things done online, and since I’ve demonstrated I’m motivated and capable since then, they really won’t even consider it. 

I applied to four schools and sent all my transcripts to all of them. Go for it, be honest and explain why medicine speaks to you more than HR. 

Good luck!!

16 hours ago, Koopatroopa said:

Honestly. I failed out of an online masters degree (failed out, seriously). I brought it to an academic advisor at a Canadian med school and she told me that they don’t even look at things done online, and since I’ve demonstrated I’m motivated and capable since then, they really won’t even consider it. 

I applied to four schools and sent all my transcripts to all of them. Go for it, be honest and explain why medicine speaks to you more than HR. 

Good luck!!

Wow thank you so much!

did you end up getting accepted in Canada? This is very motivating thanks again!

Archived