Premed 101 Forums

Missed CASPer. Am I done?

1 hour ago, teapenguin said:

As you can tell from the title, I missed the CASPer deadline. I didn't realize that they made the changes this year. Is it RIP for me for this application cycle?

Universities have strict deadlines for these things. These are the only bright-line areas where if you fall short of, they will ding you and eliminate your dossier.

It's unfortunate, but given the fierce competition these days, you really cannot leave room for error for failure to meet deadlines etc.. 

13 hours ago, adhominem said:

I do have to say that they did a poor job communicating that it was a requirement pre-interview this year. Granted, U of A has poor communication concerning most aspects of their admissions process. 

I don't think that's fair to say. UAlberta has previously been one of the best schools in breaking down their admissions process (GPA/MCAT/extra curricular/MMI weighting), giving stats on entering classes and their stats, and even communicating to unsuccessful interview applicants about their MMI and application.

If they aren't communicating this year/cycle, they must be doing it for a reason.

Also re: CASPer for UofA. They listed on their website under Applying to Medicine >> Non-Academic requirements. It should be the applicant's responsibility to go through each school's requirements and make sure that they've met them before the deadline. Would we be saying this if someone missed the Oct. 1st application deadline? Because as someone who previously applied to many schools across Canada, not every school has the Oct. 1st deadline. I had to write down which schools had which deadlines and make sure I meet them. These are individual applications, transcripts, personal references, and CASPer. It is not anyone's job to spoon feed you requirements and forewarn you via individual e-mail, IF they've put it clearly on their website. If a applicant wants it badly enough, they'll triple check that they've met all the requirements by the deadline for each school.

To the OP:
I'm sorry about what happened, it truly sucks. While I do think it's worth e-mailing/calling admissions, my honest opinion is that they won't be making accommodations, especially when the applicant is accountable. All schools have more than enough qualified applicants to fill their enrolment targets. I hope this will be an experience that helps you to never miss a deadline for anything ever again. You'll be known as the physician that never misses a deadline and does things right away. I know a few, and they're really appreciated by their admin, nurses, and residents.

Archived