Premed 101 Forums

November 2017 DAT Thoughts

Hey Guys,

Any thoughts on today’s DAT ? 

Imo, Bio and Chem were just fine, no surprises, though a few tricky Qs here and there...

PAT: Aperture was borderline-hard for me, TFE, there were too many similar answer choices, overall not too bad. 

The rest of them weren’t that bad.

RCT: Wtf was going on with the first and last passage ? I guessed on a bunch and didn’t have time to properly answer Qs on the last passage, guess got wrecked lol

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Bio I knew most questions but there were a few I had no idea about. Can't remember the number but I thought there would be less questions I would be unfamiliar with than there actually were. Chem I was very easy and I was able to get every question. I think I messed up the calculations on a couple though.. They were all very simple calculations but I kinda just forgot how to do math lol.

I'm disappointed with how PAT went. The first page of keyholes caught me off guard and I ended up short on time making me have to rush the rest. I went into TFE confident because I got pretty good on Bootcamp but idk, I found the test harder for some reason. Also I agree with the user above.. That one cube question looked to me that it could've had no cube or a had a cube with where it was. Apart from that, cube counting was easy as were holepunching and pattern folding. I know I made dumb mistakes because of how much I rushed though. I'm expecting lower than my BC average tbh.

I also ran out of time for RC and guessed for quite a bit. That first passage had like 20 questions lol.

Where do I start.

CHM was reasonable, calculations were a bit odd but I just rounded everything to make my life easier and found the closest answer. Also had enough time to review all answers. BIO was a bit more challenging than I expected. Felt like a lot of the sections I studied were under-represented or not represented at all in that section. 

PAT practice made me believe angles would be difficult so I started with angles and went on. All sections went smooth (minus that one cube counting question which felt like there was a random cube stuck in randomly but not too sure) and then came keyholes and TFE and got completely taken by surprise and how difficult and challenging keyholes was. Then that threw me off completely for TFE and felt like I was running out of time.

RC was just horrible. Middle passage was a lot easier, but everything else felt like a lot of guessing because there were many overall inference questions. Not many detail questions.

3 hours ago, straight_teeth said:

Interestingly someone at my test centre apparently ran out of time and just filled in a straight vertical line for a bunch of questions during the PAT section. The invigilator later went to the person and said that the scanner won't be able to read their answer sheet. 

Can anyone confirm that this is true? I don't get why this would be a problem if the DAT does not penalize guessing. 

MDT wasn't too bad. Bit harder because of the consistency of the soap being different from what you get from the CDA but I think I did better than last time. I had the smallest chip and slightly went over my line by a little less than 1mm but otherwise I'm pretty confident I did better than last year. 

Bio and Chem didn't care for much since where I am applying doesn't look at it. 

Keyholes tilted me for the first bit for PAT but the rest of it was pretty fair. 

I was grinning during one of those RC articles (if you've browsed other forums for DAT RC advice, you know what's up). Rest of RC I managed to find most of the answers for just skimming through and scanning as needed. 

Bio and Chem were okay. Bio had a few questions that were a bit tricky like that population one where it asks which graph represents type 2.

Pat was fair game except those key hole questions which are meant to kill time. With regards to that one cube counting question, I was confident that you had to assume there was a cube hiding because of how far the length of that column or row(depending on how you look at it) extended out. Im basing this off of practice obviously i encountered questions similar to that and the correct answers satisfied that assumption. 

RC was shitty, I agree with what people have been saying.

Generally speaking, it seems most people really struggled with this DAT in regards to the PAT and RC sections.

i smell a massive bell curve. 

P.s. dat crusher’s RC is not representative at all lol. However, kudos to them for having a practice passage which was almost identical to passage 2 on RC. 

50 minutes ago, noneed2live said:

Generally speaking, it seems most people really struggled with this DAT in regards to the PAT and RC sections.

i smell a massive bell curve. 

P.s. dat crusher’s RC is not representative at all lol. However, kudos to them for having a practice passage which was almost identical to passage 2 on RC. 

Are you serious! Crusher had a passage super similar to passage 2? Is there like a large bank that the CDA pulls from or?

Anyhow, my thoughts on the DAT yesterday:

Sciences: pretty similar opinion to everybody else's -- pretty fair, I had starred about 3 from each of the bio and the chem but I had about 10 minutes at the end to focus specifically on those questions so I think it was mostly good

PAT: Okay so I always tackle PAT in the same order -- Angles, then hole punch, then cubes, then TFE, then keyhole, and then pattern folding. I started with the angles and I realized that although I was bubbling in the spot for question 43 I was on question 44. FML time wasted going back and figuring out what I did wrong and it increased my anxiety dramatically. Made up time in hole punching and cube counting. Internal groan when I saw the amount of rock keyholes (like whyyyyyyyyyyy) [hoping that at least two of them are part of the 15 they remove]. Finished pattern folding with a couple minutes to spare and then doubled back to try to make sure I had fixed the issue with my angle ranking. 

RC: I didn't have any real issues -- I always got 21+ on bootcamp's RC so I was fairly confident going into it: time is the biggest enemy for sure. I had a couple starred but I had time when I was done to go back and find the correct answers from the passages.

Congrats to everyone who wrote it -- you survived! It's no small feat
Regardless of the outcome be proud of your dedication and hardwork and best of luck to all of you :)

Well, I walked into this DAT having a single butt hole. Unfortunately, but fortunate to the scientific community, NOW A HUMAN BEING EXISTS WITH 3 BUTT HOLES!!!! 

Let's be honest, it wasn't fair! Like RC was brought from Jupiter, but I'm quite sure it was from Mars! PAT, well what can I say other than God bless Saturn!!! I don't know why but for all the rocks it seemed that every answer I had was a "B" ... like 5 B's in a row or so

For me Bio was really hard and I was shocked and surprised. It is even more surprising for me that none of you guys had any problem with bio so can someone please recommend me what to study for bio? I read Cliff’s notes and took the sample bio questions in Dat bootcamp. The questions in Dat bootcamp and crusher were all memorization and I got usually 35/40. Please recommend me what to do for bio. 

For me the The chem was fair and I even think that chem was easier than bootcamp. I used chad video for chem + datbootcamp+ dar destroyer

PAT! As soon as I saw the keyholes I moved to the TFE section . TFE was fair holepunching was ok. Angle ranking was just like always hard and confusing. An pattern folding was good but I ran out of time for the last 5 questions. Keyhole was decently the worst I’ve ever seen!

RCT! I’m not a big fan of it. And as soon as I saw the second passage I moved to it cause I had a similar passage on piano in crusher. The other 2 passages were really hard and I guessed a lot of them. 

40 minutes ago, Barah M Tarabein said:

Well, I walked into this DAT having a single butt hole. Unfortunately, but fortunate to the scientific community, NOW A HUMAN BEING EXISTS WITH 3 BUTT HOLES!!!! 

Let's be honest, it wasn't fair! Like RC was brought from Jupiter, but I'm quite sure it was from Mars! PAT, well what can I say other than God bless Saturn!!! I don't know why but for all the rocks it seemed that every answer I had was a "B" ... like 5 B's in a row or so

I had a bunch of B's in a row for the Keyholes as well lol. I had four though and I ended up changing one of them last minute. I only remember cuz it stuck out to me

Here are my thoughts:

Biology-A lot of random questions (especially physiology) and so I ended up guessing a few questions. but I think I did pretty good overall.

Chem- Was very straightforward, i'm confident I got close to perfect unless I made a silly mistake somewhere

PAT- was okay but the page with the keyholes were brutal and it threw me off guard from the beginning. And I agree the cubes on that one figure...lol But other than that i thought this section was okay.

RC-  This was a tough one, I swear one passage had like 20 questions which threw me off guard. But the 2nd passage from crusher came in clutch lol legit probably saved me. Overall RC was okay

Any ideas when we get our scores back? Getting nervous already lol

3 hours ago, rocmarc said:

I had a bunch of B's in a row for the Keyholes as well lol. I had four though and I ended up changing one of them last minute. I only remember cuz it stuck out to me

Let's hope it all turns out to be good for everybody. My moto in life "be positive and positive things will find its way" :)

4 hours ago, MSp said:

For me Bio was really hard and I was shocked and surprised. It is even more surprising for me that none of you guys had any problem with bio so can someone please recommend me what to study for bio? I read Cliff’s notes and took the sample bio questions in Dat bootcamp. The questions in Dat bootcamp and crusher were all memorization and I got usually 35/40. Please recommend me what to do for bio. 

If you used boot camp you should have read all the extra details they have under every question. They're helpful. Don't just memorize the questions!!

Archived