Premed 101 Forums

Hematopathology

imo, path is a bad option if you intend on going to the usa. their job market is worse than ours, and ours is not ideal. 

if you have interest in hematopathology, you should consider internal medicine and then following up with heme or onc. 

if you are interested in the usa, you could match to an IM program there and then do fellowship in hemeonc. i dont know about doing hemepath after that but it might exist.

The Canadian 4-year hematopathology is, in ways, a different discipline than the AP+HP route. The job options vary year-to-year but overall have been very good. If you want to work in the US or pursue fellowships requiring US board eligibility FRCPC-HP is not going to work. But if you'd be happy in a larger Canadian centre, concerns about job prospects shouldn't be the reason you rule the field out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 2:02 PM, GrouchoMarx said:

imo, path is a bad option if you intend on going to the usa. their job market is worse than ours, and ours is not ideal. 

if you have interest in hematopathology, you should consider internal medicine and then following up with heme or onc. 

if you are interested in the usa, you could match to an IM program there and then do fellowship in hemeonc. i dont know about doing hemepath after that but it might exist.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Look on PathologyOutlines and hemepath jobs are everywhere, it's about 16% of all jobs posted there in Q3 2017. Right now centers are having difficulty recruiting HP because there's so much demand. 

http://pathologyoutlines.com/pathjobs2017q3.html

OP could consider doing general path in Canada with HP fellowship in US.

5 hours ago, shikimate said:

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Look on PathologyOutlines and hemepath jobs are everywhere, it's about 16% of all jobs posted there in Q3 2017. Right now centers are having difficulty recruiting HP because there's so much demand. 

http://pathologyoutlines.com/pathjobs2017q3.html

OP could consider doing general path in Canada with HP fellowship in US.

just because there are jobs available does not mean that the jobs are good ones. there is a big oversupply issue for pathology in the states so theres a downward pressure on the market.

be aware that the usa wants apcp which we call gp up here as you know. so the op would have to do a gp residency and then a hemepath fellowship if he wanted to maximize his chances in the usa. passing the frcp gp exam is not guaranteed whereas the ap exam is over 90% pass for cmgs. yet ap-only for the usa puts you at a disadvantage.

canada has a lot of demand for hemepath right now but who knows what the big in demand field will be in six years. its impossible to predict.

doing internal, hemeonc and hemepath fellowship if such a thing exists would give the op clinical and lab options in both the usa and canada. thats how i would do it. ymmv

7 hours ago, shikimate said:

Right now centers are having difficulty recruiting HP because there's so much demand. 

Currently true of HP in Canada as well (especially FRCPC-HP, imo).

As Cain says, the market can change...it's impossible to predict - and that goes for any specialty. For HP in Canada the jobs seem to come in waves - one year, it might be tight for those finishing, and then the next year it's a bonanza. That's the nature of a small field, but the overall trend has been very good.

2 hours ago, GrouchoMarx said:

doing internal, hemeonc and hemepath fellowship if such a thing exists would give the op clinical and lab options in both the usa and canada. thats how i would do it. ymmv

I know several individuals who have gone this route (GIM->adult or peds heme -> HP), and only one of them i know practices in both disciplines. This route is only possible in Canada - in the US, they would need to go back and do [at least] CP before undertaking an HP fellowship.

Though I do think the hematology training provides a nice perspective for HP practice, when I've discussed the trajectory with those who've done it, they've generally said they would've have done direct entry HP if they'd known about it; they learned about it/fell in love with it during their fellowship rotations. If you know you want to do HP, I wouldn't go the clinical route to have a backup job option...it's a really long process...with three Royal College exams... and the hematology job market is much worse than HP. 

Archived