Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on International Exchange Electives (CFMS-IFMSA)

Hi guys,

I just have a few questions about international electives.

Do you think they are worth the money and time?

I'm at McMaster so it would certainly be a plus to squeeze in some travelling time during my electives.

Also, if anyone has been matched with a CFMS-IFMSA exchange, what was your experience like? Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Given your at Mac..do you think its wise to waste an elective rotation on an exchange? Surely you'd want to optimize the limited amount of elective time right? (Just a thought)

Mac has pre-clerkship electives in the summer after first year which is when most students do international electives. They aren't useful for CaRMS mainly to explore specialties. Otherwise, some people do international electives after CaRMS. Mac actually has a lot of elective time, I believe 24 or 26 weeks worth, but few of them are actually situated at the right time for CaRMS. 

45 minutes ago, Edict said:

Mac has pre-clerkship electives in the summer after first year which is when most students do international electives. They aren't useful for CaRMS mainly to explore specialties. Otherwise, some people do international electives after CaRMS. Mac actually has a lot of elective time, I believe 24 or 26 weeks worth, but few of them are actually situated at the right time for CaRMS. 

That makes more sense! Interesting that you still have 24 weeks of elective time, i would have thought you'd have less due to truncated curriculum. 

What is the core-rotation length like? 

On 11/13/2017 at 0:48 AM, JohnGrisham said:

That makes more sense! Interesting that you still have 24 weeks of elective time, i would have thought you'd have less due to truncated curriculum. 

What is the core-rotation length like? 

It is similar, you do get less time for med subspec and surg subspec I have noticed compared to other schools but all the other rotation lengths are the same. 

Archived