Premed 101 Forums

GPA Toronto - Dropping Lowest problem

Hello, 

So my story is that in the first year I took 4 courses the first semester instead of 5.  The reasoning behind this is that I am a student with a registered learning disability and my university disability counselor insisted that I should take 4 courses since almost all the students with disabilities do. I had asked her if this would affect medical school and her reply was that because I was a student with a disability 4 courses are considered a full course load.  At the time I was naive and did not look into it any further (completely my innocent first-year self-fault).  Now getting ready to apply to the medical school I worry this will hold me back since dropping my lowest grades would really help me out.   I was wondering if anyone has had any experience appealing to Toronto, or if you think it is worth appealing since for disabilities students 4 courses are considered a full course load (OSAP and my university consider this full course load). 

Thank you for your time

On 11/14/2017 at 5:59 PM, livelaughlearn97 said:

Hello, 

So my story is that in the first year I took 4 courses the first semester instead of 5.  The reasoning behind this is that I am a student with a registered learning disability and my university disability counselor insisted that I should take 4 courses since almost all the students with disabilities do. I had asked her if this would affect medical school and her reply was that because I was a student with a disability 4 courses are considered a full course load.  At the time I was naive and did not look into it any further (completely my innocent first-year self-fault).  Now getting ready to apply to the medical school I worry this will hold me back since dropping my lowest grades would really help me out.   I was wondering if anyone has had any experience appealing to Toronto, or if you think it is worth appealing since for disabilities students 4 courses are considered a full course load (OSAP and my university consider this full course load). 

Thank you for your time

Are you in a 30 credit system school? If so, you should be fine if you have 28 credits or above.

I am at McMaster.  I believe it is 30 credits.  1 course is generally three, typically students get 30 credits a year (10 courses x 3).  However, in the first year, I did 27 credits in the fall and winter term than another course (3 credits) in the summer.   I am not surer how one does 28 credits.   Do you know if this will count?

7 hours ago, livelaughlearn97 said:

I am at McMaster.  I believe it is 30 credits.  1 course is generally three, typically students get 30 credits a year (10 courses x 3).  However, in the first year, I did 27 credits in the fall and winter term than another course (3 credits) in the summer.   I am not surer how one does 28 credits.   Do you know if this will count?

You can do 28 credits by taking a 1 credit seminar course + 4 courses in one semester and 5 courses in the other. If you are in second year or above your 27 credits will not qualify for UT's wGPA policy. However, you can do a 5th year with a full course load to make up for some of the low grades, or you can take a gap year after graduation (not sure how this works exactly, maybe someone can explain).

Archived