Premed 101 Forums

1 minute ago, OThopeful18 said:

Yes! Same. I got waitlisted at McMaster #1 lol rejected from UofT :S not even a waitlist offer. Seems bit odd. I'll be happy with any OT admisison offer. I just need 1 offer anyways.

Accepted to Western OT, waitlisted to Western PT & U of T OT. Absolutely no news from Queens! Crazy you'd think that this universal system would just blast em all out at once. But hey you're for sure going to be getting off that waitlist!!!! 

Just now, PThopeful18 said:

Lower Third Waitlist of Western, so basically a Rejection :/

Hoping Queens gives me better news 

How did you find out your position on the waitlist? It explicitly states in the email I got from UofT not to inquire about our position on the waitlist because they "would not be able to provide it". 

1 minute ago, macsci94 said:

How did you find out your position on the waitlist? It explicitly states in the email I got from UofT not to inquire about our position on the waitlist because they "would not be able to provide it". 

this is for western and it say in the email: lower third, which is anywhere from 119-169ish 

1 minute ago, macsci94 said:

Western provided the information in their email. General position in terms of upper, middle or lower third. 

Got accepted to Western PT and MacMaster PT tonight, will be declining both though, because I got into UBC and will be attending there, should help the waitlist out a little bit. 

Congratulations to everyone getting in! If you're still waiting or didn't get the news you wanted, don't lose hope, this was my second year applying and after a year of straight rejections, things have started to work out! :) 

4 hours ago, PTinBC said:

Will I need to provisional accept my offer for McMaster in order for ORPAS to show whether I got an offer of admission from other schools? 

7F37E95C-C559-4995-B01D-349783776AFA.png

Yes. I had asked Alicia (from OUAC/ORPAS) about this a month ago and her response was: 

''A provisional acceptance means that you can indicate that you want your applications to other universities/programs to remain active. However, if you accept an offer for 1 discipline and receive an offer for a second, you have to choose between the 2. You cannot hold 2 acceptances (firm or provisional) at 1 time.

A firm acceptance means that you will be removed from the wait lists of all other choices (in the same discipline) on your application.''

With that said, for SLP, there was a date where all provisional acceptances become firm acceptances. I'm not sure if OT/PT have that but I can't see why not. I only know this because I applied to SLP and OT this year and that's what people on other forums about their offers last month for SLP. 

22 minutes ago, smurph said:

Yes. I had asked Alicia (from OUAC/ORPAS) about this a month ago and her response was: 

''A provisional acceptance means that you can indicate that you want your applications to other universities/programs to remain active. However, if you accept an offer for 1 discipline and receive an offer for a second, you have to choose between the 2. You cannot hold 2 acceptances (firm or provisional) at 1 time.

A firm acceptance means that you will be removed from the wait lists of all other choices (in the same discipline) on your application.''

With that said, for SLP, there was a date where all provisional acceptances become firm acceptances. I'm not sure if OT/PT have that but I can't see why not. I only know this because I applied to SLP and OT this year and that's what people on other forums about their offers last month for SLP. 

Ok so in order to be still considered for the other schools, I need to make a provisional acceptance to McMaster ?

I got waitlisted at Queens around 7am (and rejected from everywhere else). When is the deadline to make provisional or firm acceptances, for those of you who got in? I'd like an idea of when the waitlist might start moving!

Also, ORPAS hasn't updated at all for me, I've only gotten emails from the schools, is this the case for anyone else too?  

Hi everyone! 

I’ve been following this forum for a while but this is my first time posting. 
Seeing people get accepted with lower GPAs was really helpful for me throughout the application process so I am posting this to give some hope for future applicants. 

Applied: PT at Western, UofT, Queens and McMaster

Accepted: Queens

Waitlisted: McMaster #92 (so basically a rejection lol)

Rejected: Western and UofT

GPA: sub: 3.71 cum: 3.47

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Worked as a summer student at a cardiac rehab hospital with stroke and cardiac patients, volunteered in a mobility and falls clinic with seniors, did a fourth year research thesis on concussion recovery, volunteered in an OT research lab in undergrad, volunteered with a special needs sports team and worked two summers at an overnight camp with kids with special needs. I was also a varsity athlete and have other un-related volunteer experience. This is also my second time applying. 

Can't wait to meet everyone at Queens in September!!  :)

Applied: McMaster, Western, U of T, Queens, UofA, Dal - All PT

Accepted: Western, U of T

Waitlisted: Queens #25

Rejected: McMaster, Dal

GPA: cGPA: 3.66 sGPA: 3.82

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Reference from professor I was a TA exercise physiology for, and one from professor I helped volunteer with her Phd work with individuals with cancer and exercise. Undergrad thesis researching cancer patients exercise levels after a group based exercise program, 2 years of working as a teaching assistant for undergraduate anatomy courses, one semester volunteering as a TA for exercise phys, 180 hours volunteering with cancer patients, 60+ hours working with MS, Stroke, Parkinsons individuals, patient porter @ hospital for rehab program, standardized patient at medical school, volunteer notetaker, on student council group for kine program (helped w orientation etc), volunteered at medical school health science camp as leader, and competitive cheerleading coach.

Got off waitlist for interview at U of A, but the second day was full of interviews, and first day was same as Toronto CAP so I had to forfeit my spot. 

I'm off to Western as it was my first choice!!! I'll be declining U of T and Queens waitlist for those of you waiting keep hope!!

Applied: PT at Dal, Western, Queens

Accepted: None :(

Waitlisted: Dal (top half but as a Non-Atlantic resident), Western (top third)

Rejected: Queens

GPA: sub: 3.94 cum: 3.87 (Ontario Schools)

GPA for Dal :last 60 credit hours: 4.16/4.3

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Volunteer in a physio gym helping patients with muscular/neuro disorders, Volunteer research assistant at a rehab hospital working with a rehabilitation engineer studying amputees/prosthetics, volunteer at PT clinic, Student-athlete with volunteer coaching experience, volunteer with athletic therpaists

Hoping to get in off Dal waitlist!

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dalhousie, McGill, U of T, McMaster, Western (All PT)
Accepted: McGill, U of T, Western
Waitlisted: Dalhousie
Rejected: McMaster
GPA:  Ontario: sGPA: 3.86 cGPA: 3.87 McGill: 3.99
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I did a Master's degree, so for U of T and McMaster my sGPA and cGPA are higher than what ORPAS calculated.  Essays: Good, gave me a chance to demonstrate the similarities between Engineering and PT. References: from my Master's supervisor and volunteering supervisor. Volunteering: Limited PT experience at time of application, but lots of experience leading programs for children and was president of a departmental student society. Research experience in a rehab-related field. Interviews: Good overall, felt better about CASPer and U of T than Dal and McMaster