Premed 101 Forums

13 minutes ago, OTApplicantMcGill said:

Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone who has done the McGill MMI has heard back? I have a feeling that the acceptances should have been submitted by now but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

I’m still (anxiously) waiting as well! 

3 hours ago, OTApplicantMcGill said:

Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone who has done the McGill MMI has heard back? I have a feeling that the acceptances should have been submitted by now but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Hey! I did the McGill MMI and still haven’t heard back either (Which is minorly stressful as the deadline to accept Ontario offers is June 1st). 

Glad to know someone else is in the same boat. 

ok, ha, here we go again - seems like another thread is becoming over heated. I will have to go through this and clean things up a bit - look, no personal attacks, the forum is about information exchange and there is a point where what should be a  heated debate of merits shows that is has unfortunately devolves into something unproductive. 

Basically keep it civil :)

8 hours ago, wannabePT said:

Congrats!! Do you know where you were on the list?

I was on the OOP list and they do not give you an exact spot but more a general idea of where you were placed. I was told that I was in the top 7 on that list though :) Are you waiting to hear from them as well?

3 hours ago, OTOTOT13 said:

Think we're all forgetting this most important thing in all of this... Vegas is currently up 1-0 in the cup finals. Who would've thought? 

wish I bet on $100 on them at start. I would have $50000 if they end up winning

Applied + (PT or OT?): McMaster, Western (both PT)
Accepted: McMaster
Waitlisted: Western (lower third)
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA: 3.95, cGPA: 3.85

I am excited I was accepted to McMaster, but Western was my dream school to get into. I'm putting this out there on this thread to just talk about this and see if anyone has any advice, or if anyone here is currently attending the PT program at McMaster to provide some information on how the classes run, time frames, etc.

I'm finding myself needing to make a difficult decision over the next few days. My wife is pregnant with our first child and I couldn't be more thrilled I get to be a father in a few months. The only downside to this, is this is affecting my decision I need to make as far as acceptance is concerned. . 

Original plan if everything worked out was as follows: Get accepted to Western PT, wife gives birth mid August, we find a place to rent in London or in an area around London, we move, I go to school, work and spend time with my child when I can, and wife is on maternity leave for first year so someone is always watching the baby.

Decision that needs to be made: A: Do everything in original plan, but accept McMaster and move to Hamilton or an area around Hamilton. B: Stay behind one year, apply to both programs again, and try again next year, but take this year to work to put our family in a stable financial situation. 

Pros about accepting McMaster and moving: #1 I get to continue with my studies in becoming a PT, my dream job since the first day of my undergrad. #2 the sooner I go and complete the program, the sooner I'm able to provide the best I possibly can for my family.

Cons: #1 Hamilton and its surrounding areas are expensive as far as renting is concerned. I currently rent a beautiful townhouse and sadly can't downgrade to an apartment as we have a 100+lb dog who we love with all our hearts and could never give up or re-home due to a move. #2 Wife has to be with baby all the time and has no support system in Hamilton other than myself, who will be at school and working all the time. I'm also concerned with how much time I may miss with my first child in their first year/few years of their life. 

Pros about staying behind one year: #1 Better financial situation for my family moving forward with the extra year of working #2 Wife and I have a support system where we live now and can ask my mom to babysit if we ever need it. 

Cons: #1 I have to put everything on hold for a year #2 There is no guarantee that I will get accepted to either program next year if I reapply.

I have already contacted the program coordinator at McMaster to see if I could defer my acceptance for a year due to my situation, which they stated is not an option. I also cannot accept the program and then claim parental leave unless I've been in the program for a year.

Any advice anyone could provide would be extremely appreciative. I didn't have a father growing up and I want to be the best father and role model my child could ever want and need. As much as the timing of baby and school is awful, my wife and I have always wanted to have a family and that part of our life is going to happen very shortly, and we are both over the moon about it. I just want to make the best decision for myself and my family at the end of the day. I know we are all different here and come from different situations, so hoping someone out there can provide some insight or someone has some experience in the program as to what class hours are like per week and things like that. 

Sorry for the long post everyone. Congrats to all those who have been accepted!

5 hours ago, TBPT13 said:

Rejected:

I am excited I was accepted to McMaster, but Western was my dream school to get into. I'm putting this out there on this thread to just talk about this and see if anyone has any advice, or if anyone here is currently attending the PT program at McMaster to provide some information on how the classes run, time frames, etc.

I'm finding myself needing to make a difficult decision over the next few days. My wife is pregnant with our first child and I couldn't be more thrilled I get to be a father in a few months. The only downside to this, is this is affecting my decision I need to make as far as acceptance is concerned. . 

Original plan if everything worked out was as follows: Get accepted to Western PT, wife gives birth mid August, we find a place to rent in London or in an area around London, we move, I go to school, work and spend time with my child when I can, and wife is on maternity leave for first year so someone is always watching the baby.

Decision that needs to be made: A: Do everything in original plan, but accept McMaster and move to Hamilton or an area around Hamilton. B: Stay behind one year, apply to both programs again, and try again next year, but take this year to work to put our family in a stable financial situation. 

Pros about accepting McMaster and moving: #1 I get to continue with my studies in becoming a PT, my dream job since the first day of my undergrad. #2 the sooner I go and complete the program, the sooner I'm able to provide the best I possibly can for my family.

Cons: #1 Hamilton and its surrounding areas are expensive as far as renting is concerned. I currently rent a beautiful townhouse and sadly can't downgrade to an apartment as we have a 100+lb dog who we love with all our hearts and could never give up or re-home due to a move. #2 Wife has to be with baby all the time and has no support system in Hamilton other than myself, who will be at school and working all the time. I'm also concerned with how much time I may miss with my first child in their first year/few years of their life. 

Pros about staying behind one year: #1 Better financial situation for my family moving forward with the extra year of working #2 Wife and I have a support system where we live now and can ask my mom to babysit if we ever need it. 

Cons: #1 I have to put everything on hold for a year #2 There is no guarantee that I will get accepted to either program next year if I reapply.

I have already contacted the program coordinator at McMaster to see if I could defer my acceptance for a year due to my situation, which they stated is not an option. I also cannot accept the program and then claim parental leave unless I've been in the program for a year.

Any advice anyone could provide would be extremely appreciative. I didn't have a father growing up and I want to be the best father and role model my child could ever want and need. As much as the timing of baby and school is awful, my wife and I have always wanted to have a family and that part of our life is going to happen very shortly, and we are both over the moon about it. I just want to make the best decision for myself and my family at the end of the day. I know we are all different here and come from different situations, so hoping someone out there can provide some insight or someone has some experience in the program as to what class hours are like per week and things like that. 

This is a long post.

First off congrats on soon to be a father.

Second see if you can defer your acceptance for a year if not go to Hamilton. You are turning down a sure thing. What is to say you will even get waitlisted at Western next year nevermind accepted. Each year, that passes its gets harder to be accepted.

9 hours ago, TBPT13 said:

Rejected:

Did you tell McMaster about your situation? I know of a girl who became pregnant during her first year of physio and the program (at a different school) let her take some time off and then she came back a year later and resumed her studies. 

While yes there is no GUARANTEE that you will be accepted again next year, from trends I've observed during my 3 years applying is that your number of applications is taken into consideration. Reapply and waiting for your preferred school demonstrates dedication, for medical schools I've heard 3 is the magical number that people always get in on their third try. And being financially stable and with your family is valuable, your PT education could likely suffer from the added stress of being in a new city with no support. 

Just this week I had to decide to withdraw from a prestigious research program in order to start physio in the fall so I could work this summer and make the best financial situation for myself to prepare myself for the next two years. It is a bit of a gamble to have to reapply again but you are clearly an impressive candidate who got into Mac and WL at western, maybe you would now have time to add another volunteer experience or GPA boosting course to be even more impressive next year. I am a big advocate of the expression 'the best things are worth the wait'.

Good luck! 

On 5/23/2018 at 11:54 PM, ot2020class said:

Congrats on being accepted to your top program! I also studied at Laurier and am choosing between Western as one of my choices for next year. I’m wondering if any of your reasons for Western being your dream school have to do with any similarities/differences between western and Laurier? 

Hey fellow golden hawk!

Thank you so much. What program were you in? 

Also, Western is the closest to home for me which is important. But also the school just seemed to be more personalized program wise in my opinion and I love the campus. 

17 hours ago, PTDani said:

I was on the OOP list and they do not give you an exact spot but more a general idea of where you were placed. I was told that I was in the top 7 on that list though :) Are you waiting to hear from them as well?

Ah gotcha! I'm on the in-province waitlist - they said top 20% (no specific number). Trying to get an idea from people here if it's moving haha

17 hours ago, PTDani said:

My friend is on the waitlist for OT U of A and they said in the email they can't disclose rankings. How did you find out you were top 7 OOP? Did they tell you where you were in the top 7 after and when you recieved this notification?

Thanks! My friend is paranoid but just wants an answer haha.

Anyone else very disappointed in communications with U of A? I understand it’s a very busy time of year but if the auto reply states 4 business day delay and it’s been 18 business days of me waiting for a reply to my email including sending a follow up email that is quite frustrating. It’s totally fine if it takes that long but then update the auto reply to be accurate?  Just me?

6 minutes ago, Zurv said:

guys if we see firm accept underneath our response in choices/offer section on ORPAS, it means we have successfully accepted the offer? right?

This is what I was told! And then to follow the specific instructions for that school, like how they want you to get them your acceptance (just ORPAS or a letter for UofT) and your deposit. I also requested my final transcript on ORPAS. The only thing that has to be done by the deadline is accepting on ORPAS though, and I was told firm accept means I successfully accepted!

1 hour ago, Ryan_Kin2017 said:

My friend is on the waitlist for OT U of A and they said in the email they can't disclose rankings. How did you find out you were top 7 OOP? Did they tell you where you were in the top 7 after and when you recieved this notification?

You can email the U of A OT Department and ask if you're in the upper half (1-49) or the lower half (50-100) of the waitlist. I think that's all that they'll tell you. It doesn't hurt if your friend emails them for more information though. Hope that helps. 

35 minutes ago, OTStudentfromBC said:

Anyone else very disappointed in communications with U of A? I understand it’s a very busy time of year but if the auto reply states 4 business day delay and it’s been 18 business days of me waiting for a reply to my email including sending a follow up email that is quite frustrating. It’s totally fine if it takes that long but then update the auto reply to be accurate?  Just me?

Are you emailing the OT department or the PT department? Because I emailed the OT department quite recently on May 28th and they got back to me in about three hours. Could your email have gotten lost somewhere in the mountain they receive? Doesn't hurt to try again! I am certain they'd understand if you explain that it's has been 18 days and you haven't gotten a reply. 

Hope that helps! 

2 hours ago, wannabePT said:

Ah gotcha! I'm on the in-province waitlist - they said top 20% (no specific number). Trying to get an idea from people here if it's moving haha

@wannabePT Ya that is probably similar to what they do for the OPP waitlist except that the out-of-province list is quite small so breaking it down into 5ths like the in-province list would basically be giving away your position.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Kin2017 said:

@Ryan_Kin2017 It says in the initially email that they don't tell you your spot but if you email them asking position they will give you a general idea of where you are :) Or at least that was my experience!

3 hours ago, wannabePT said:

How do you know what position/percentage you’re in fornin province? My waitlist email didn’t give me any type of position information, just that I’m on a 100-person waitlist. 

18 hours ago, KROT said:

How do you know what position/percentage you’re in fornin province? My waitlist email didn’t give me any type of position information, just that I’m on a 100-person waitlist. 

I just called them! She wasn't able to give me the exact spot for whatever reason, but just let me know that it's top 20% out of 70 people (so I'm assuming spots 8-14 or else she could have said top 10% I guess?). I'm also applying for PT so it might be different if you happen to be applying for OT.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, Zurv said:

guys if we see firm accept underneath our response in choices/offer section on ORPAS, it means we have successfully accepted the offer? right?

I received an email from ORPAS after I responded to my offers of admission. It said that if I saw "unsubmitted", which I did, not to worry and that I had successfully accepted the offer. You also get locked out of your account for a day while they process your submission. If you haven't received an email or been locked out of your account, then you may not have accepted the offer. Just make sure that you hit the review and submit button, otherwise you have not actually accepted the offer yet.

1 hour ago, OT_applicant_2018 said:

Hey all OT applicants, 

Wanted to check in again and see if anyone applying to OT at McGill has heard anything? The applicant guidebook says that they will send out the acceptance within six weeks.. feels like a long time to wait, especially for those that need to accept/decline other schools! 

Hey! 

I have not heard anything yet and neither has a friend who interviewed. I'm sure news will come out any day now.

Best of luck to you! 

5 hours ago, MultipleMeltdowns said:

I received an email from ORPAS after I responded to my offers of admission. It said that if I saw "unsubmitted", which I did, not to worry and that I had successfully accepted the offer. You also get locked out of your account for a day while they process your submission. If you haven't received an email or been locked out of your account, then you may not have accepted the offer. Just make sure that you hit the review and submit button, otherwise you have not actually accepted the offer yet.

same but it was junk mail.

Something like this? :

Amendment Summary

Response Information - Queen's University - Physical Therapy Action
    Added
Unsubmitted Firm Accept    

Note: If you see "Unsubmitted Acceptance" beside your accepted offer, do not worry. You successfully accepted your offer.