Premed 101 Forums

On 6/6/2018 at 9:04 AM, OT2336 said:

Has anybody heard anything from the Mac OT waitlist? 

Hi! I heard from Mac's OT on Monday but they were having technical issues..which took few days to resolve and the deadline to accepted my waitlist offer was extended till June 8, Friday 11:59 pm EST. I'm guessing more movements will happen next week. 

2 hours ago, kin2018 said:

Has anyone ever heard of someone being accepted/recommended by the school of OT at dal and then rejected by the Faculty of Graduate Studies?? This hasn’t happened but just got wondering

why and how would this even happen?

7 minutes ago, Zurv said:

why and how would this even happen?

I’m not sure. Like I said this hasn’t happened to me but the letter you receive from the school of occupational therapy states that the Faculty of Graduate Studies has the FINAL say. So I was just wondering if this ever happens, and what would be the reason that the school of OT would admit you and then the FGS say no?? I was admitted last Monday but haven’t received the “final” letter from the FGS so I can’t help but stress myself out while I wait.

2 minutes ago, kin2018 said:

I’m not sure. Like I said this hasn’t happened to me but the letter you receive from the school of occupational therapy states that the Faculty of Graduate Studies has the FINAL say. So I was just wondering if this ever happens, and what would be the reason that the school of OT would admit you and then the FGS say no?? I was admitted last Monday but haven’t received the “final” letter from the FGS so I can’t help but stress myself out while I wait.

i haven't received from queen's PT either. They have finalize the class (waitlist and stuff) and they send it everybody.

5 minutes ago, Zurv said:

i haven't received from queen's PT either. They have finalize the class (waitlist and stuff) and they send it everybody.

In my email it states that I should receive it within a week and this email will tell me how to pay the deposit to hold my seat. So I am hoping I will receive it soon so I can stop stressing myself out lol 

4 minutes ago, kin2018 said:

In my email it states that I should receive it within a week and this email will tell me how to pay the deposit to hold my seat. So I am hoping I will receive it soon so I can stop stressing myself out lol 

lol i get that, I worry too much too but if they were to reject you they would've done it earlier. The fact that you haven't heard anything is still good news

3 minutes ago, Zurv said:

lol i get that, I worry too much too but if they were to reject you they would've done it earlier. The fact that you haven't heard anything is still good news

I was accepted last Monday! However the email I received stated that the Faculty of graduated studies has the “final” say and that I should hear from them within a week and tomorrow will be a week. I just was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the Faculty of Graduate Studies rejecting them after the school of OT recommended them. I don’t think this happens ever but my mind has a way of stressing me out :) 

26 minutes ago, kin2018 said:

I was accepted last Monday! However the email I received stated that the Faculty of graduated studies has the “final” say and that I should hear from them within a week and tomorrow will be a week. I just was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the Faculty of Graduate Studies rejecting them after the school of OT recommended them. I don’t think this happens ever but my mind has a way of stressing me out :) 

I think it is protocol for the faculty to have the "final" say, but I have never heard of professional program applicants being rejected by the faculty if the school has recommended them.

I have heard that this occasionally, but rarely, happens for research-based grad school programs where the PI recommends a student, but the faculty rejects them on certain grounds (eg. your grades or GRE scores not being high enough). But yeah, if I were you I wouldn't stress about it!

Thinking of Applying to Dal PT as an OOP. My GPA for them would be 3.85/4.3 since it doesn't count the junior level courses I did post grad. Plus, they have the CASPER Requirement next year. Being Epileptic, I could apply under affirmative action (but not planning on doing so though).

Would I have a shot at it? Or is it like Uof Alberta where under a 3.9 isn't worth trying? 

2 minutes ago, PThopeful18 said:

Thinking of Applying to Dal PT as an OOP. My GPA for them would be 3.85/4.3 since it doesn't count the junior level courses I did post grad. Plus, they have the CASPER Requirement next year. Being Epileptic, I could apply under affirmative action (but not planning on doing so though).

Would I have a shot at it? Or is it like Uof Alberta where under a 3.9 isn't worth trying? 

Depending on how Dal has changed the weighting of admission with the CASPER, getting in with an 3.85 as an OOP is pretty slim. I went to Dal and worked for the physiotherapy school and I knew OOP applicants with over 4.0 GPA's or higher who didn't even get an interview. 

6 hours ago, kin2018 said:

Has anyone ever heard of someone being accepted/recommended by the school of OT at dal and then rejected by the Faculty of Graduate Studies?? This hasn’t happened but just got wondering

I had the same concern, I went to Dal and spoke directly to FGS and they have this as a fail safe for fraudulent applications, say if you applied as a Nova Scotia resident when you are really from Alberta/Ontarion/etc, or if you lied about your application GPA or faked information in some form on your application. Dal PT and OT don't have the resources to investigate each application this thoroughly, so once they make their recommendations to FGS they do the final precautions.

Seems weird I know, but apparently a few years ago the Law school at Dal had a bit of a scandal when a student who lied and said they had already completed a law degree (JD) applied to do a Masters of Law, was accepted and was a practicing lawyer until this person then applied to work at some firm who finally did a background check and BOOM discovered that they had been fraudulent in their Dal applications. 

You'll hear the story yourself if you attend the Masters Students Orientation, there's a whole department at Dal now dedicated to preserving academic integrity.  

30 minutes ago, eafb30 said:

I had the same concern, I went to Dal and spoke directly to FGS and they have this as a fail safe for fraudulent applications, say if you applied as a Nova Scotia resident when you are really from Alberta/Ontarion/etc, or if you lied about your application GPA or faked information in some form on your application. Dal PT and OT don't have the resources to investigate each application this thoroughly, so once they make their recommendations to FGS they do the final precautions.

Seems weird I know, but apparently a few years ago the Law school at Dal had a bit of a scandal when a student who lied and said they had already completed a law degree (JD) applied to do a Masters of Law, was accepted and was a practicing lawyer until this person then applied to work at some firm who finally did a background check and BOOM discovered that they had been fraudulent in their Dal applications. 

You'll hear the story yourself if you attend the Masters Students Orientation, there's a whole department at Dal now dedicated to preserving academic integrity.  

Wow thanks so much for clarifying! Makes sense in a way, but I guess the way they word it makes it a little concerning! I’m sure I have zero concern but you can’t help but stress!! Hopefully I’ll get my “final” acceptance letter this week! Thanks so much!!  

7 hours ago, kin2018 said:

btw isn't the normal steps for getting an admission: 1) recommendation by the school of OT/PT to grad school 2) graduate school makes a decision 3) A letter sent out

so if you got the letter already, then there should be nothing to worry about.

EDIT: different school different rules i guess

15 minutes ago, Zurv said:

btw isn't the normal steps for getting an admission: 1) recommendation by the school of OT/PT to grad school 2) graduate school makes a decision 3) A letter sent out

so if you got the letter already, then there should be nothing to worry about.

EDIT: different school different rules i guess

It has been further clarified! That is the normal process, however I was confused on the “recommended” part

7 hours ago, PThopeful18 said:

Apply under the Affirmative Action, you need is a 3.3 gpa and they don't compare your application to other candidates. It's all on the website and you can contact  the department for more information. Make sure you prepare for CASPer, don't wing it. They also have information on how your application grade and CASPer weighs to get an interview.

6 hours ago, kin2018 said:

Wow thanks so much for clarifying! Makes sense in a way, but I guess the way they word it makes it a little concerning! I’m sure I have zero concern but you can’t help but stress!! Hopefully I’ll get my “final” acceptance letter this week! Thanks so much!!  

I got my recommendation letter for PT on May 15th and my official letter from FGS on the 25th, so don't worry if you don't hear anything within the week time frame they suggest. Paid my deposit within 3 minutes and then you wait 2 business days to register for courses and I was definitely breathing easier once I saw my schedule in front of me. 

20 minutes ago, eafb30 said:

I got my recommendation letter for PT on May 15th and my official letter from FGS on the 25th, so don't worry if you don't hear anything within the week time frame they suggest. Paid my deposit within 3 minutes and then you wait 2 business days to register for courses and I was definitely breathing easier once I saw my schedule in front of me. 

Okay that is definitely good to know!! I’ll definitely feel better when the deposit is paid and registered for courses!! Thanks so much for helping me breathe today :) lol 

1 hour ago, eafb30 said:

I registered for classes tonight!! Excited but also yikes, hahah. Did you also have time conflicts show up on you schedule or did I register for a class I wasn't supposed to??

On 6/11/2018 at 12:04 AM, mlyPT said:

I registered for classes tonight!! Excited but also yikes, hahah. Did you also have time conflicts show up on you schedule or did I register for a class I wasn't supposed to??

No you're good, its the bugger IPHE course that's causing the conflict but IPHE isn't an actual course with a scheduled time and place, its just an activity you have to do every so often with the other health professions students but they need to have it in the timetable because you get credit for it. I'm showing as a conflict between IPHE and Anatomy but we would go on to Anatomy and the IPHE events are typically in the evenings after classes. I think you do one per year or one per term, something like that. 

On 6/8/2018 at 8:56 AM, NewOTDal said:

Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out housing at Dal for OT. I'm looking at places around the School of OT on Forrest Rd as this seems to be the best bet. I'd love if anyone who knows Dal housing well or is in/was in Dal OT could send me a message and let me know what streets/areas are best to live on! 

Thanks in advance!

I live in the North End, which is as far as you can get away from the school while still in the main city/peninsula, but it still only takes me 15 mins to get there by the bus. If you want to walk, then you can look at places around Dal/Quinpool, but I like the vibe of the North End better and it's cheaper!