Premed 101 Forums

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal, Queen's, UoA (all PT)
Accepted: Interview @ Dal, awaiting decisions from Queen's and UoA
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.8 (those are off the top of my head, they're somewhere around those figures)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think I did fairly well with all of my personal statements, I am a re-applicant so I did some major tweaking to my submissions from last year and I'm pretty satisfied. I didn't get to see my references but I can only assume they were quite good, especially my non-academic reference. I have experience working with individuals of all ages, varying levels of ability via both volunteer and paid work experience at 3 different physiotherapy clinics. Also have experience as a research volunteer, coach, athletic trainer, and am currently working as a kinesiologist. Fingers crossed!!

Good luck everyone:)

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal (PT), OOP applicant
Accepted: Dal (interview)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA 3.96, sGPA 3.96

Perceived Strengths: I have one thing to share for anyone who applies to Dal PT, Dal PT doesn't even open your reference letters, they decide who gets an interview based on GPA alone and then who gets in based on your interview score and GPA, the two reference letters are just ticks on a list because everyone is essentially going to have the same two letters talking about how fantastic and qualified they think you are. This is my third time applying and am now doing research waiting to get in, and I have seen the best candidates not get in just because their GPA was 0.1 points too low. 

Good luck to everyone applying! 

1 hour ago, eafb30 said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Dal (PT), OOP applicant
Accepted: Dal (interview)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA 3.96, sGPA 3.96

Perceived Strengths: I have one thing to share for anyone who applies to Dal PT, Dal PT doesn't even open your reference letters, they decide who gets an interview based on GPA alone and then who gets in based on your interview score and GPA, the two reference letters are just ticks on a list because everyone is essentially going to have the same two letters talking about how fantastic and qualified they think you are. This is my third time applying and am now doing research waiting to get in, and I have seen the best candidates not get in just because their GPA was 0.1 points too low. 

Good luck to everyone applying! 

What Province or Residency are you applying from??

35 minutes ago, Ryan_Kin2017 said:

This is my second time applying as Newfoundland resident as well. 

Yeah and we just have to keep applying because MUN's claims to open their own physiotherapy school make them sound like the boy who cried wolf. I left MUN in 2015, have there been any rumors among the HKR faculty about when it might open?

Applied + (PT or OT?): McGill, McMaster, U of T, Queens, Western (all OT) 
Accepted: McGill (Interview) 
Waitlisted: McMaster (Interview)
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA= 3.73 cGPA= 3.56
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Hold a psychology degree and diploma in behavioural science, implemented behaviour plans under an OT and BcABA, coordinated employment for youth with intellectual disabilities, worked in a women's homeless shelter and transitional housing program, currently work for a psychologist doing psychological assessments and return to work programs using ACT and PGAP for those on long term disability due to chronic pain and/or mental health issues. References from a psyc prof where I volunteered in her lab for a year and another kine prof who I took a class with and did well 

Applied OT & PT: Western (OT only), Mcmaster, UofT, Queens 
Accepted: -
Waitlisted:  McMaster OT (For the interview)
Rejected: - 
GPA: cGPA 3.71, sGPA 3.75

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

-4.5 years of practical experience at private PT clinic working as an assistant under direct supervision of a PT. 

-Participation in research project with a Post Doctoral Fellow and group research  

-Exposure to both Qualitative and Quantitative research methodology. 

- I have some knowledge in computer programming so I guess it might help in research

-Major in Health Studies - I not only know about the biological science side of things, but also the social, political, and economic factors affecting Canada's health systems. Basically any question that they throw at me in regards to the public health system or ethics and its issues behind it I can write my way through no problem. 

22 hours ago, PTWannabe said:

Has anyone that got an interview for Dal PT replied to the email and tried to book an interview yet? I have, but I haven't heard back yet. Just wondering if anyone has confirmed an interview time yet.

I didn't get a reply back for the time yet. I think they may be waiting for the deadline. 

1 hour ago, Happyness said:

I didn't get a reply back for the time yet. I think they may be waiting for the deadline. 

I just heard back - I had requested a specific day and time and I had emailed right away when I got the offer so maybe Kelly is working her way through her emails now.

Applied: OT @ Dalhousie 
Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: (cum and sub if you applied to any University using them both) - 3.2 Cum in undergrad, sub 3.5,  3.9 in MA, B+ in prereqs (so far, still doing ANAT/PHYL)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: had two thesis supervisors write my letters, which I heard from a friend that they really value having folks who have another masters done. My thesis project is through the critical disability studies program at york and looking at mental health. No direct experience volunteering with folks, but lots of experience in disability theory and activism through other groups. Disabled myself. 

Edit: Oh, I'm out of province for nova scotia but a Newfoundland resident.

my friend found out on April 1 in 2016. Waiting patiently... do you know if those who are still doing prereqs will find out now as well for Dal or they're in May? I've heard two different dates - End of march/early april AND sometime in May. Trying to figure out when I can expect it... I was in the building today and almost went to ask but was too afraid! :|

2 hours ago, PTWannabe said:

I just heard back - I had requested a specific day and time and I had emailed right away when I got the offer so maybe Kelly is working her way through her emails now.

Really?! Has anyone else yet?? I'm worried they haven't received it... I don't want to call and harass them but I also don't want them to overlook my response and the deadline pass. I requested a specific day but not time. 

On 3/24/2018 at 8:10 PM, OTWannaBee said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): McGill, McMaster, U of T, Queens, Western (all OT) 
Accepted: McGill (Interview) 
Waitlisted: McMaster (Interview)
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA= 3.73 cGPA= 3.56
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Hold a psychology degree and diploma in behavioural science, implemented behaviour plans under an OT and BcABA, coordinated employment for youth with intellectual disabilities, worked in a women's homeless shelter and transitional housing program, currently work for a psychologist doing psychological assessments and return to work programs using ACT and PGAP for those on long term disability due to chronic pain and/or mental health issues. References from a psyc prof where I volunteered in her lab for a year and another kine prof who I took a class with and did well 

How long do you have until to accept the interview form McGill?? Asking for a friend.