Premed 101 Forums

Applied (OT only): U of A, Mcmaster, Queens, U of T and Western
Accepted: McMaster
Waitlisted: 
Rejected:
GPA: cum 3.21 and Sub 3.76 (ORPAS)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 5 years of working as a support staff with special needs children at an elementary school and 500 hours of volunteer experience with seniors. 

3 hours ago, Revolus said:

To those with extensive extracurriculars, are you a mature applicant? I can't even begin to imagine myself maintaining a competitive GPA in undergrad while acquiring so much experience outside of school... 

Not sure if this applies to my experience (there are some exceptional applicants this year judging by this thread!), but I graduated in 2016 and am a first time applicant.

I started & completed most of my experiences while in undergrad, but continued working in labs + volunteering with PTs & OTs after I graduated.

Applied PT: McMaster, Queens, UoT, Western
Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA 3.11 sGPA 3.69
The perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Essay - two grammatical errors. Does anyone recommend sending a full document of the personal submissions via SAM tool? Only concern is that I'd bring attention to the first part of my personal submission on why I chose physiotherapy as a career choice.

have had a lot of experiences: worked with Motor Vehicle Accidents (MVAs), WSIB claims and processes, Geriatrics (some post-op), Ortho - McMaster Sports Medicine as a Student Clinical Therapist, Professional Student at Regional Rehab., Centre in Aquired Brain Injury (ABI), Sports and teams - children and adolescent physical care. I am also a staff youth worker and work with clients from 6 (children) to the elderly (65+). @ Regional Rehab Centre: Worked with a complete multi-disciplinary team where I got the chance of following a patient pre-op via neuroanatomy testing of affected limbs prior to surgery, then witnessing the surgery and then worked with the patient post-op. Shadowed neurosurgeon, orthotists, prosthetists, chiro, speech path, nurses, etc.,
References: Specifically chose Hospital Manager/Sessional Faculty, PT with a DPT from the states and another academic professor from Family Med., and Health Sciences all at McMaster.
Unfortunately didn't engage in research during my undergraduate degree, however, if things don't go well this year around I'll get some experience for the following year.

The supplementary or latter info was all to combat my GPA which really doesn't speak for my interest and desire to become a PT. 

Applied: McMaster, Western, U of T, Queens, UofA, Dal - All PT
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cGPA:3.66 sGPA: 3.82
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

Reference from professor I was a TA for, and one from professor I helped volunteer with her Phd work with cancer patients and exercise

Undergrad thesis researching cancer patients exercise levels after a group based exercise program, 2 years of working as a teaching assistant for undergraduate anatomy courses, one semester volunteering as a TA for exercise phys, 180 hours volunteering with cancer patients, 60+ hours working with MS, Stroke, Parkinsons individuals, patient porter @ hospital, standardized patient at medical school, volunteer notetaker

Essays were okay hopefully. 

Applied: UBC, Mcgill. Western
Accepted: University of Brighton (UK) - Backup plan for Sept 2018
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UBC, Mcgill
cGPA:3.42 sGPA: 3.51 (ORPAS) sGPA: 80.3 UBC

References are very strong. 1 from a professor of a year-long class which was all teamwork. The other from the manager of a Residential Care Facility which I have volunteered. 

Undergrad in Biomedical Electrical Engineering which brought my grades down but hopefully is looked at as an asset in my application. I feel like a strong all-around applicant with success in academics, leadership/teamwork competitions, and athletics. 

Applied: McMaster (Msc PT/PhD R.S) 

Accepted:

Waitlisted: 

Rejected:

cGPA: 3.50, sGPA (last 60 units): 3.86. We don't apply through ORPAS

Current education: MSc candidate in Human Kinetics @ Uottawa. 

Had to provide 2 reference letters + one work related, 2 samples of scholarly writing (published or not published), Transcript, C.V and Letter of intent.  

Admissions committee will assess sGPA, Master's GPA and other credentials. I really want to continue research and at the same time pursue my dream profession, hopefully this works out for me.    

Applied: Queen’s and UK schools (PT)
Accepted: UK (backup)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cGPA: 3.10, sGPA: 3.76

-Feel that my references are strong; 1 from prof, 1 from a PT I worked with for a year. 

-Waitlisted last year so improved my application, feel that it’s stronger this year.

-Many volunteer/work hours: cardiac outpatient centre, a hospital, private PT clinic, sports med clinic, worked as a kin, research project in undergrad, personal training since 2014, worked with differently abled individuals, etc. 

Hope it works out this year!

Applied: UBC, UoA, UoT, McMaster, Western (ALL PT)
Accepted: UBC (Interview)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
sGPA: 3.84, UBC (UL: 90.7%, Pre-req- 89.4%)

References from two professors that I know really well and did well in their class plus a PT volunteer coordinator. 4 years of experience working at UBC Hospital as a PT Ambulation assistant plus ECU balance and exercise group assistant. 3 years at a physical therapy clinic working alongside a PT. Essay I feel are pretty well done.

Applied: UBC, UofA, Western (all OT)
Accepted: UofA, Western (accepted UofA offer)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:UBC
GPA: cGPA:3.12; sGPA:3.78; 83-84% for UBC; 3.8 for UofA
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Essay were OK (I feel quite confident with my personal statement essay). I graduated in 2013 and ever since I have been upgrading my GPA. I have been volunteering/working in the healthcare field since 2008, so I have thousands of hours. Confident with my references. I feel ok about the CASper test, but I think I could have done way better had it not been timed (oh, well!). 

Best of luck to all of you! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Applied: OT at UBC, U of A, Western, McMaster, Queen's, and U of T

Interviews: UBC, McMaster

Accepted: U of A, Western, McMaster, Queen's, and U of T
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UBC

GPA: cGPA 3.88 sGPA 3.95

Perceived strengths/weaknesses of essays/interviews/references:

Wide variety of volunteer experience, including 120 hours of direct patient assistance at a physiotherapy clinic specializing in neurological impairments, 2.5 years as research assistant in a laboratory studying concussions, 3 semesters as a teaching assistant for an undergraduate human anatomy course, and a summer providing harm reduction and medical services in a field hospital. Experience shadowing two occupational therapists in different settings, but only observed a couple of appointments each. I am graduating with co-operative education distinction, where one of my placements was at a brain injury association as a recreation coordinator.  

One reference is a professor I had for a year-long course and also know through involvement in the psychology undergraduate society. The other is the director of the Concussion Laboratory I have volunteered in for years and a professor with the Island Medical Program. Neither of these are very familiar with the OT field. My third reference, who was used only for UBC, is the lead physiotherapist at a clinic I have volunteered in.

Hi everyone!

I am new to this thread, but I figured I should post as I received an interview for UBC's MOT program this afternoon.

Applied: Only to UBC MOT
Accepted: Interview at UBC
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA: 4.12 for 300-400 upper level courses, I do not know my sGPA 

I felt confident with my letter of intent, I have been working with chronic disease populations for the past two years at a place called LIVE WELL Exercise Clinic.  So far, I have gained approximately 300 hours of work experience designing exercise programs for physically disabled individuals while working alongside a Clinical Exercise Physiologist (CEP).  The members suffer from a wide range of chronic illnesses including multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, spinal cord injuries, cardiac-related complications and so on.

For the UBC application, I submitted 4 references in total.  Two from professors at my current university, who I had the chance to get to know quite well over the past two years, through participating and assisting with a number of their studies and conducting annual firefighting testings.  The other 2 references I submitted were volunteer and work-related.  One from LIVE WELL, which satisfied the physical disabilities requirement of the UBC application and another from Special Olympics, which satisfied the cognitive and emotional disability requirement of the UBC application.  My thought was to cover all bases and get experience from all three areas of disability although not required!

Where I feel I am weakest is in my experience with intellectual disabilities (cognitive/emotional) as I only gained 30 hours of experience volunteering for the Special Olympics as an assistant coach.  My hope is to continue gaining hours to strengthen my application if I do not get past the interviews this year.

I started my degree at UVic and finished my last two years at UFV.

22 minutes ago, JBrooke said:

Does anyone know when Mac OT will be releasing whether or not we have received an interview?

I was checking out the forum from last year, and it looks like people didn't find out until March 8th... So hopefully we find out tomorrow or soon after!

On 2/6/2018 at 2:13 PM, Revolus said:

To those with extensive extracurriculars, are you a mature applicant? I can't even begin to imagine myself maintaining a competitive GPA in undergrad while acquiring so much experience outside of school... 

I do not have extensive extra-circulars but I am a mature student!:D I managed to get some experience (150 hours) on campus during my 3rd year of my BA. It was extremely difficult with a full course load! I believe it was only possible as it was on campus. I suggest trying to obtain experience during summer break if possible.

Applied: ( UofT and McMaster, both for OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: CGPA = 3.43, SGPA = 3.82

4 years of research experience within both academia and in clinical research, including 2 years of paid experience in a research lab I've been working in since undergrad. Got some well established clinicians scientists to write my reference letters in addition to my research supervisor in undergrad who was my professor for several classes (where I had gotten a equal amount of As and A+s in). My work experience has been focused primarily on the mental health of special populations, and I hope to be able to serve these populations clinically. I'm hoping my grades/experience are a good fit for these programs (in addition to lived experiences as a mental health consumer, which I feel has informed my career aspirations).

Best of luck to all, especially those who applied to McMaster (I was told MMI invitations come out this week).

25 minutes ago, Doglover123 said:

Waitlisted for OT mcmasters :( 

does anyone know how to check which number I am? 

I also have a sGPA of 3.75. Do you think I’ll have a chance of getting the interview ?

Omg. My GPA is 3.76 and I didn't even make the waitlist cut :o how does McMaster decide their ranking?