Premed 101 Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!! I also got an acceptance July 18th from Queens OT. The admissions coordinator said I have to wait 1-2 days until ORPAS updates for me to see the offer and then accept it. Its been 4 days now and I still don't see an offer under the "Choices and Offers" tab. Anyone know what to do or has this happened to anyone? 

18 minutes ago, Sukar said:

Congratulations!! I also got an acceptance July 18th from Queens OT. The admissions coordinator said I have to wait 1-2 days until ORPAS updates for me to see the offer and then accept it. Its been 4 days now and I still don't see an offer under the "Choices and Offers" tab. Anyone know what to do or has this happened to anyone?

Congrats!! Mine showed up right away but it may not come up over the weekend. If it's not up tomorrow I would phone them to make sure it was processed!

16 minutes ago, Otot said:

Congrats!! Mine showed up right away but it may not come up over the weekend. If it's not up tomorrow I would phone them to make sure it was processed!

Thank you! Im just getting really worried because on the email it said that I have to respond by July 23rd. You're right though, I'm ganna give them a call tomorrow morning.  Am I looking on the right tab by the way?

12 hours ago, Sukar said:

Thank you! Im just getting really worried because on the email it said that I have to respond by July 23rd. You're right though, I'm ganna give them a call tomorrow morning.  Am I looking on the right tab by the way?

Yes that's the right tab

Applied: Queen’s and UK schools (PT)
Accepted: Queens PT & UK schools
Waitlisted: Queens PT (#20)
Rejected:
cGPA: 3.10, sGPA: 3.76

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

-Feel that my references were strong; 1 from prof, 1 from a PT I worked with for a year. 

-Waitlisted last year so I worked on improving specific areas. Felt that my application was stronger this year, but answers themselves could have been better looking back.

-Volunteer/work: Cardiac & stroke track support in an outpatient program, orthopaedic clinic assistant in a hospital, private PT clinic, sports med clinic, worked as a kin, research project in undergrad, personal training since 2014, inclusive exercise assistant for special populations.

6 minutes ago, Rehab4Life said:

Applied: Queen’s and UK schools (PT)
Accepted: Queens PT & UK schools
Waitlisted: Queens PT (#20)
Rejected:
cGPA: 3.10, sGPA: 3.76

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

-Feel that my references were strong; 1 from prof, 1 from a PT I worked with for a year. 

-Waitlisted last year so I worked on improving specific areas. Felt that my application was stronger this year, but answers themselves could have been better looking back.

-Volunteer/work: Cardiac & stroke track support in an outpatient program, orthopaedic clinic assistant in a hospital, private PT clinic, sports med clinic, worked as a kin, research project in undergrad, personal training since 2014, inclusive exercise assistant for special populations.

damn nice! you just got off the waitlist? they told us the class was full like week ago with 69 student

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, tm55 said:

Can anyone that applied to schools in the UK tell me how the process was like? I've been looking at schools but I am so lost with how to apply and their requirements. What UK schools do you recommend applying to for OT? 

I was overwhelmed when I started looking into it too, but it’s actually quite simple. I also used an agent from Study-UK Toronto. Across the Pond is another popular service, and they’re all free and very helpful with the application process and preparing students to move abroad. 

Some schools use UCAS, some UKpass and others use their own database (links were always on the PT pages when I was looking). So if you apply to several schools you will likely have to fill out multiple applications on various websites.. but they pretty much all ask for the same info (statement of interest, references, etc).

Think about where you want to live, as most programs will have many similarities since they have requirements to fulfill. I personally wanted to stay near central London without being in central London. So, my top 2 choices when applying were Brunel London University (West London) and Oxford Brookes University (Oxford). These 2 schools’ PT/OT programs have great reps and several Canadian students (easy transition with the alliance if you plan on working in Canada). Cost and location were also factors I considered, and basically just made a list of several UK universities with cost, location and program quality. I also applied to University of Brighton (Brighton) and Queen Margaret University (Edinburgh). There are so many to choose from in the UK haha.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:57 PM, Rehab4Life said:

I was overwhelmed when I started looking into it too, but it’s actually quite simple. I also used an agent from Study-UK Toronto. Across the Pond is another popular service, and they’re all free and very helpful with the application process and preparing students to move abroad. 

Some schools use UCAS, some UKpass and others use their own database (links were always on the PT pages when I was looking). So if you apply to several schools you will likely have to fill out multiple applications on various websites.. but they pretty much all ask for the same info (statement of interest, references, etc).

Think about where you want to live, as most programs will have many similarities since they have requirements to fulfill. I personally wanted to stay near central London without being in central London. So, my top 2 choices when applying were Brunel London University (West London) and Oxford Brookes University (Oxford). These 2 schools’ PT/OT programs have great reps and several Canadian students (easy transition with the alliance if you plan on working in Canada). Cost and location were also factors I considered, and basically just made a list of several UK universities with cost, location and program quality. I also applied to University of Brighton (Brighton) and Queen Margaret University (Edinburgh). There are so many to choose from in the UK haha.

Thanks for your help! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

This is my second time applying to OT school and I needed some clarifications. I’m currently upgrading courses and someone has told me that upgrading and taking first and second year courses will make me look like a less attractive applicant to them. Is this true ?? I called u of t and I get a different answer each time I speak to someone. 

19 hours ago, OTschool2019 said:

Hello everyone!

This is my second time applying to OT school and I needed some clarifications. I’m currently upgrading courses and someone has told me that upgrading and taking first and second year courses will make me look like a less attractive applicant to them. Is this true ?? I called u of t and I get a different answer each time I speak to someone. 

I spoke to someone at UofT, as I'm also taking courses to upgrade, and they said taking a few is fine as long as you have a certain number of upper year courses for your last 20 unit. 

On October 3, 2018 at 12:11 PM, MWUQ said:

I spoke to someone at UofT, as I'm also taking courses to upgrade, and they said taking a few is fine as long as you have a certain number of upper year courses for your last 20 unit. 

What number of upper year courses need to be in your last 20? I'm currently taking 5 courses that range from first and second year courses to raise my average so I'm worried! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 1:24 AM, canIkickit? said:

Hey man. Also from BC. What did your application look like? I unfortunately just miss UBC's requirements cut off as I have two classes with 75% at the 300/400 level, and the cut off is 76% for all classes.

Hey! I just spoke to someone in the OT department at UBC because I found the wording on their website kind of confusing, but he clarified it's the average they're looking at. I have a 65% in a 300 level course and thought I was ineligible, but that's not the case! Also, it's changed around a bit this year, they're looking at your last 15 300/400 level courses for the admissions average. 

• 1 month later...

Hey to those who got accepted I am applying again this year and I was wondering if anyone was willing to let me see their personal statement just to get an idea of how to maybe improve mine. I am not trying to copy or steal someone's whole statement even just a portion such as an intro would help. Thank you!