Premed 101 Forums

2018 CaRMS Interview -- DISCUSSION

MDLaval

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, peede said:

Depends on the program.. I remember last year someone thought they didn't get a family medicine program because it was posted, but it turned out that the program sent invites out in batches (like days if not weeks later).

yeah it is so variable. 

Personal position but I still feel like it is unprofessional to not have a system of notifying people that the interviews have all been sent out - ideally the CARMS software through the interface should tell you the status of things. At this point we are all colleagues and paying not a small amount of money to the CARMS system. Some basic functionality doesn't sound like that much to ask for ha. 

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

yeah it is so variable. 

Personal position but I still feel like it is unprofessional to not have a system of notifying people that the interviews have all been sent out - ideally the CARMS software through the interface should tell you the status of things. At this point we are all colleagues and paying not a small amount of money to the CARMS system. Some basic functionality doesn't sound like that much to ask for ha. 

Completely agree.. such an unnecessary source of uncertainty/stress. If they could send out emails to all applicants for medical school, I don't see why they can't do that for residency. Having it directly on the Carms platform would be even better. We should all send emails to the Carms platform as a point of improvement for next year

On 12/1/2017 at 0:17 PM, rmorelan said:

They could - I think part of it is there is more complex selection processes for such multiple site programs and also it is just a pain in the ass for them to change their software. Not exactly a great explanation mind you. Plus they don't really have anyone stressing them out about correcting it. At least not currently

I'm back people- this process just triggers my desire to come here I guess. :)

Regarding applying to multiple sites- I have to say that I think it's another way that applicants who are hoping to go rural are somewhat penalized. I applied to more FM programs than some of my colleagues, but I was applying to so many programs that only had 2 spots so I felt I really had to apply for many. I wound up spending more, of course, and I honestly don't even know how I would attend all these far-flung interviews if I was offered them (I made a spreadsheet and it is logistically impossible unless I do two interviews on one day- not that 'm expecting an interview from everywhere I applied, not by a long shot, but it's actually impossible).

4 hours ago, kylamonkey said:

Regarding applying to multiple sites- I have to say that I think it's another way that applicants who are hoping to go rural are somewhat penalized. I applied to more FM programs than some of my colleagues, but I was applying to so many programs that only had 2 spots so I felt I really had to apply for many. I wound up spending more, of course, and I honestly don't even know how I would attend all these far-flung interviews if I was offered them (I made a spreadsheet and it is logistically impossible unless I do two interviews on one day- not that 'm expecting an interview from everywhere I applied, not by a long shot, but it's actually impossible).

In Quebec, applicants have the huge advantage of doing one single interview that will be good to all French-speaking programs/sites. So, if you apply to all FM sites from all 3 French schools, you'll only do one interview.

On the other hand, if you don't do well in that one interview, well...

8 hours ago, kylamonkey said:

I ran into the same issue. I applied to 21 programs but many of them are only a couple spots. One has only a single spot. Ultimately I did only apply to six schools since I am restricting myself somewhat geographically because of a few issues, but I’m going mostly for smaller sites. 

At at least the one perk of family medicine is that there’s typically only a single interview for multiple sites. And several schools apparently allow applicants to add additional sites after interviews, so that at least lifts some of the uncertainty. 

51 minutes ago, MDLaval2017 said:

If you get invited to an interview with a program that will be interviewing candidates on more than 1 day, does it hurt your chances or does it have any impact if you ask to change, for example, from day 1 to day 2 (or vice-versa)? 

I honestly wouldn't want to match to a program that would penalise you for trying to attend as many interviews as you can.

31 minutes ago, Snowmen said:

I honestly wouldn't want to match to a program that would penalise you for trying to attend as many interviews as you can.

trouble is I have seen some picky competitive programs do it.  

Usually not a problem, but sometimes programs cannot make the change. 

I'm already impatient waiting for interview invites.. so went to look at the Carms 2017 thread to get an estimate of wait times. According to that thread, some programs send out invites in mid-January??? Is it just because people post late on the thread or do quite a few programs send out offers that late?

11 minutes ago, peede said:

I'm already impatient waiting for interview invites.. so went to look at the Carms 2017 thread to get an estimate of wait times. According to that thread, some programs send out invites in mid-January??? Is it just because people post late on the thread or do quite a few programs send out offers that late?

It looks like most programs should be sending out invites this week, eh?

2 hours ago, Dermviser said:

It looks like most programs should be sending out invites this week, eh?

If I'm not mistaken, most programs send out invites by Christmas. So, that would be the 21st this year since the 22nd is a holiday in most universities/faculties.

6 hours ago, peede said:

Some programs like Internal Medicine release their interview invites all on the same day at Noon.

3 hours ago, ArchEnemy said:

Some programs like Internal Medicine release their interview invites all on the same day at Noon.

I agree.  I was just on the CaRMS Program Description page.  I found this when reading USASK's IM program information.  

"Interview offers will be sent out electronically on Thursday, January 4, 2018 for our Program, as well as all other Internal Medicine programs across Canada."

12 hours ago, moonwalker2099 said:

I agree.  I was just on the CaRMS Program Description page.  I found this when reading USASK's IM program information.  

"Interview offers will be sent out electronically on Thursday, January 4, 2018 for our Program, as well as all other Internal Medicine programs across Canada."

yeah that is common - the advantage of a common date is predictability for the applicants - you know exactly when you will know all things and that guarantees a point where you can plan. The drawback is any such system take effectively the slowest school's time and adds a safety factor on top of it - meaning the date is going to comparatively really late in the game. Like January........

8 hours ago, rmorelan said:

yeah that is common - the advantage of a common date is predictability for the applicants - you know exactly when you will know all things and that guarantees a point where you can plan. The drawback is any such system take effectively the slowest school's time and adds a safety factor on top of it - meaning the date is going to comparatively really late in the game. Like January........

And air ticket prices / accommodations are higher since it is so close to departure date...

2 hours ago, ArchEnemy said:

And air ticket prices / accommodations are higher since it is so close to departure date...

oh yeah absolutely - 

in perfect world they would still agree to a common date but that date would be prior to christmas. That would be more stressful though of course for the programs, and there is very little pushing them to actually do it. 

Hoping for some advice. Was offered a spot at McGill for an interview for neurology. Both of their interview dates overlap--first date with Queen's, second with Western. Has anyone had experience with being able to travel in a single day for two interviews? Would this be feasible between Montreal and Kingston?

It would seem that wouldn't be possible between Montreal and London. Any thoughts?

Archived