Premed 101 Forums

2018 CaRMS Interview -- DISCUSSION

MDLaval

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Peasant Sirwallis said:

What is your applicant category and where did you apply?

CMG Ontario Student. I didn’t get an interview at Ottawa and Calgary (but did at Mac, Toronto, Western, Queens, and Alberta). So now I’m wondering if my application might not be as strong as I hoped. 

15 minutes ago, jad233 said:

CMG Ontario Student. I didn’t get an interview at Ottawa and Calgary (but did at Mac, Toronto, Western, Queens, and Alberta). So now I’m wondering if my application might not be as strong as I hoped. 

Don't think that way. Ottawa doesn't interview many people who rotated there. In fact, last year, there were many unfilled spots after the first round. Me and a friend of mine who applied there in fam med didn't get an interview neither :)

Some of the rejections don’t make much sense to me. I have a classmate who is from an underserved area, plans to return there, said so in their letter, is applying only to family,  and was rejected by his home region’s school. I was rejected by that school as well despite what I feel is a fairly strong family application (received interviews everywhere else I applied.)

It is what it is. I have only five interviews myself as I restricted my applications geographically. We’ve got to work with what we’ve got. In the end, family med is still a pretty good bet especially if it’s your first choice and you’ve demonstrated interest. 

3 minutes ago, mononoke said:

Same, I did an elective there too. Do they give preference to their own students for interviews?

Dunno. I got an interview at Ottawa and haven’t done a family med elective there (did OB/Gyn) but I did used to live in Ottawa and mentioned so in my PS. Maybe they were looking for connections to the area?

2 hours ago, jad233 said:

That is a surprising result. I'm sorry you didn't get the Ottawa interview. Perhaps you will receive an invite later...McGill fmed invited me a full week after the program first appeared in the thread.

7 hours ago, Birdy said:

Some of the rejections don’t make much sense to me. I have a classmate who is from an underserved area, plans to return there, said so in their letter, is applying only to family,  and was rejected by his home region’s school. I was rejected by that school as well despite what I feel is a fairly strong family application (received interviews everywhere else I applied.)

It is what it is. I have only five interviews myself as I restricted my applications geographically. We’ve got to work with what we’ve got. In the end, family med is still a pretty good bet especially if it’s youre first choice and you’ve demonstrated interest. 

exactly - CARMS is strange and unpredictable. Sometimes the selection team just weird decisions - happens to a lot of people (myself included I feel). 

Don't let any particular school's rejection throw things out of alignment for yourself! 

8 hours ago, Birdy said:

Dunno. I got an interview at Ottawa and haven’t done a family med elective there (did OB/Gyn) but I did used to live in Ottawa and mentioned so in my PS. Maybe they were looking for connections to the area?

Not sure if anything has changed recently but in late 2014 when I did my CaRMS application I got an interview at Ottawa family med. Never did an elective there. 

On 12/14/2017 at 7:54 PM, skyuppercutt said:

Idk the answer to this, but I will assume that I am rejected if I don't hear from them by Dec 19th, which is the date their portal opens up to select interview dates

I just got an invite from Western FM yesterday so I think they do send out some invites in batches

22 hours ago, Arztin said:

Don't think that way. Ottawa doesn't interview many people who rotated there. In fact, last year, there were many unfilled spots after the first round. Me and a friend of mine who applied there in fam med didn't get an interview neither :)

Interesting thoughts about Ottawa. I am from outside Ontario and did not complete an elective here (FM or otherwise). I'm really happy to have gotten one, but I know multiple great candidates who also did not receive one. In the invitation email, it does state that there are many applicants on their waiting list.

Archived