Premed 101 Forums

Weight of Reference forms/ LORs

I’m not sure about UBC specifically, but I think a few schools (USask for sure, UofC and maybe UofM) use references to rule out applicants, but mostly they don’t add anything to your application. Just another box for us to tick. For those schools, Your score for getting in is calculated on your ECs, GPA, MCAT and (mostly) interview. 

On 2017-11-28 at 10:49 PM, mdapp said:

References are pass fail for UBC.

Post interview: MMI >> Mcat >= Gpa 

UBC has never officially stated that they are pass-fail and admission staff have unofficially suggested in conversation with current students that they do consider references in more detail than such a simple black and white picture.

Based on a lot of conversation with current students and applicants rejected in the past couple years, it seems that MMI, GPA, and NAQ are all important post-interview while MCAT and references have relatively less impact. 

The average accepted MCAT (513) is only marginally higher than the rejected post interview MCAT (511) and I know many many people in the current class who were accepted with 507s and 508s, so I would disagree with your assessment that MCAT is weighed more heavily than GPA.

Archived