Premed 101 Forums

Trent is literally scamming parents

RRRAAAWWW

On 24/11/2017 at 10:39 PM, celciuszoo said:

Truly the first of a kind PreMed program, unlike how U of T Life Sci and Mac Health Sci and Western Med Sci masks their PreMed program under a shell of a degree that is effectively useless on its own without an accompanying MD. It's a shame it's just a gimmick by Trent trying to attract STEM talent that would otherwise go to Toronto Mac and Western. It's a shame that it's at a school with no medical school and no teaching hospital.

Speaking of scams, I'd say Western putting the world MEDICAL in Bachelor of Medical Sciences and duping naive Grade 12s and their even more naive parents into enrolling is a greater scam. 

Brock has a Med Plus Prep program smilar to this

• 10 months later...
16 minutes ago, LMNTL said:

What I would like to know is how many applicants are actually successful in being accepted to Med School from Trent.  According to MacLeans, in 2014 there were none.  https://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MD_CHART.jpeg

If this has not changed significantly, Trent is indeed scamming parents and students.

I think Trent has been marketing with St. George University for medical school. A family friend actually asked me about the Trent-SGU program. I think Trent has a duty to inform its applicants on the prospects of going abroad to medical school.. they seem to leave that out. I would be more ok if they had provided a more balanced view and not make it all glittery. But that's all marketing I guess. lol

https://www.trentu.ca/premedicalstudies/stgeorges

"For the aspiring doctor and veterinarian, Trent University has partnered with St. George’s University in Grenada, West Indies to provide you with the unique opportunity to graduate from Trent and receive direct entry into St. George’s University, a respected medical or veterinary school. It’s not only the chance to pursue your dream of becoming an M.D. or veterinarian, but also an opportunity to take your studies abroad on the picturesque shores of Grenada."

Like what?

On 11/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, la marzocco said:

I think Trent has been marketing with St. George University for medical school. A family friend actually asked me about the Trent-SGU program. I think Trent has a duty to inform its applicants on the prospects of going abroad to medical school.. they seem to leave that out. I would be more ok if they had provided a more balanced view and not make it all glittery. But that's all marketing I guess. lol

https://www.trentu.ca/premedicalstudies/stgeorges

"For the aspiring doctor and veterinarian, Trent University has partnered with St. George’s University in Grenada, West Indies to provide you with the unique opportunity to graduate from Trent and receive direct entry into St. George’s University, a respected medical or veterinary school. It’s not only the chance to pursue your dream of becoming an M.D. or veterinarian, but also an opportunity to take your studies abroad on the picturesque shores of Grenada."

Like what?

Lol whaaat. Actually? This is a recipe for disaster. Most successful CSA's come from Ireland/UK/Aus/NZ. Even then it's a stretch. This is all about money and marketing and people considering this program need to be made aware of just how unlikely it is they will come back to Canada.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:49 PM, LMNTL said:

What I would like to know is how many applicants are actually successful in being accepted to Med School from Trent.  According to MacLeans, in 2014 there were none.  https://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MD_CHART.jpeg

If this has not changed significantly, Trent is indeed scamming parents and students.

It's a small school that doesn't attract many students who want medicine, so it's not surprising that few are accepted, that part isn't fishy. Also there's nothing wrong with a small school trying to promote a pre-med stream, and some aspects of this program are great like their hospital placements. It's not easy to get shadowing experience in hospitals in Canada as a pre-med.

It's a shame that they're promoting SGU though. That portion is presented separately but in parallel with the "medical professional stream" and "premedical option" on their website. They imply that you can come back to Canada for residency as though that's something Trent can arrange. I enjoyed this part especially, anesthesia represent boiii

Career Paths

Doctor; Veterinarian; Surgeon; Anesthesiologist; Policy Advisor; Medical Researcher; General Practitioner; Professor

On 11/3/2018 at 2:49 PM, LMNTL said:

Definitely pretty low numbers overall. There's one person in my class who got in after 3 years at Trent.

as somebody who just finished a  degree at Trent, please do yourself a favour and avoid it like the plague for premed. compared to the larger univs (i.e. uoft, mcgill), the courses are graded differently...i.e. one 3hr lec  /week.  2 hr  is lecture. 1 hr is biweekly seminar. i did not feel like i learned much.  btw  a big chunk of courses are taught by graduate students, contractors, alumni and non-Faculty, so hard to get that reference letter. the  majority of your course grade in each course will be determined by subjective components like course papers, seminars etc.  btw every course has a major paper with vague instructions and all midterms/exams have written components..this all makes it extremely difficult to achieve 90%+ in courses but 80-85 is achieveable, which converts to 3.7, i.e. not competitive for med school. so no, while it may be easy to get into and get mediocore grades at Trent that may be good for grad school, they have a system in place where it is basically impossible to obtain stellar grades necessary for canadian med schools. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived