• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: 2:17 PM EST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Interview
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA (off my school's website): 96.3%
MCAT: 528
ECs: 2 summers working as in Search and Rescue and several years working for family business, hospital and first response volunteering, president of a club, hobbies, a few awards, some lab volunteering (no publications, didn't start my own research project until this fall). I also listed some stuff I did back in high school that I'd continued in a different form in university (e.g. hospital volunteering in my hometown instead of university town, executive of club in high school too, etc.)
Current Degree: BSc 4th year
Geography: OOP

Yay!! Super excited and can't wait to make the trip to BC :)

TIME STAMP: 11:18am
Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite
AGPA (if applicable): 84.4%
MCAT: 510
ECs: Research (6 pubs, 5 first author, 3 oral and 3 poster presentations), hospital volunteering, costa rica volunteering, tennis player, tennis coach, hobbies, travel, second language, various ECs with people of different backgrounds (marginalized populations). 3+ years of clinical research experience, lab research in undergrad. 
Current Degree: Bsc. 2016 grad
Geography: IP

So excited I can't believe it! good luck to everyone in the interviews! 

TIME STAMP: 11:17 AM PST
OGPA :80.66%  AGPA: 82.23 (last year's results from UBC).  
MCAT: 520
ECs: Lots, because I'm old (30), non-trad applicant - sports, leadership council, impact measurement, and event development/org in the non-profit sector, interesting and varied work experience, etc.
Current Degree: finished (prev, 2xBSc , MSc.)

History in case you're interested: Interviewed 2x prev (above avg. rank both times), no matriculation. Last cycle was not invited for interview.  Scores from 2016/17 listed below.  You definitely start to accumulate good NAQ over time if you keep pursuing your interests and passions, and developing as a human.  I'm likely still bubbling it because of my weak first degree and hence low AQ, but a number of factors will be different this time through so I'm hopeful.  Keep working at it, even if you're old like me! :D 

Scores from 2016/17
Overall Grade Point Average 80.66
Adjusted Grade Point Average 82.23
AQ Score 18.75
NAQ Score 33.90
TFR Score 52.65

5 minutes ago, cammerbot said:

ECs: Lots, because I'm old (30), non-trad applicant - sports, leadership council, impact measurement, and event development/org in the non-profit sector, interesting and varied work experience, etc.

History in case you're interested: Interviewed 2x prev (above avg. rank both times), no matriculation. Last cycle was not invited for interview.  Scores from 2016/17 listed below.  You definitely start to accumulate good NAQ over time if you keep pursuing your interests and passions, and developing as a human.  I'm likely still bubbling it because of my weak first degree and hence low AQ, but a number of factors will be different this time through so I'm hopeful.  Keep working at it, even if you're old like me! :D 

Scores from 2016/17
AQ Score 18.75
NAQ Score 33.90
TFR Score 52.65

Thats a kick ass MCAT and awesome ECs. Good luck!!

TIME STAMP: 2:18PM EST
AGPA (if applicable): ~92-94
MCAT: 514
ECs: Research (2.5 years--full time in summers, part time during school year-1 publication, 2nd author in a high impact factor journal), 5 years with a clinical and health advocacy position, 3 years with a community position with 2 positions (1 continued for all 3 years, leadership for 2 years), other misc. volunteer positions including 2 other leadership positions entailing both health and community related organization (both on and off campus, committees and for various different initiatives). Have had 3 jobs, self-taught a language (I had one more spot on my application so I put this lol), numerous awards, have some hobbies including partaking in photoshoots (for University promotional advertisements) and personal training.
Current Degree: B.Sc

Idk how this happened.. I know so many more people more deserving but I guess there's nothing to do about this now. Feb.11 can't come sooner

TIME STAMP: 11:17am
AGPA (if applicable): just OGPA 92-94%
MCAT: met cut-offs
ECs: Research (wet lab & clinical - no pubs), coaching, hospital volunteer, club exec, teaching, jobs (diverse - mix of both medical/research and non-medical), hobbies (heavy & different) , high school volunteering/involvement - most of my ECs are long-term ( > 1 year) 
Current Degree: 3Yr UG

Super excited!! Congrats to everyone else!!

TIME STAMP: 2:17 PM EST
GPA: 90.56%
MCAT: Met Cut-offs
ECs: Both Long and short term. Diverse and unique. Research( Pub, patent, international conferences, and awards), Volunteering in hospice, developed programs for at-risk populations, many leadership positions, multiple employments, musician, competitive sports, etc.   
Current Degree: 2nd Year MSc at a reputable program

NAQ: Must have been above 32 or so
AQ: Roughly between 31.5-32

My First time applying to medical school and so very grateful for the opportunity. To those who did not get invited, some of you were incredibly close. Don't give up and keep pushing.  

OGPA: 84%  
MCAT: 516
ECs: 5 years of various research positions (RA's and RC's), 2 first author pubs and over 10 presentations and posters at conferences, international paid work, various volunteering positions, mostly short-term but one long term (2 years) counselling students. Overall I have a ton of work experience, primarily because I had to pay my way through my undergrad and masters (working usually 2 jobs at a time).
Current Degree: Finished Masters

This is my third time applying and first interview so I'm really stoked. Worked hard to re-write my NAQ section after a poor score last year (24ish) to showcase not just what I did but what I achieved, and guessing it showed and made up for a very average GPA. Getting really excited for interviews and hoping that this is the year!!

19 minutes ago, cammerbot said:

Scores from 2016/17
AQ Score 18.75
NAQ Score 33.90
TFR Score 52.65

Do you know why you might have been rejected even with above average interview scores?

9 minutes ago, distributed_healthcare said:

Got an interview invite, whoooo! 

I'm out of province, and my Agpa was a 88.75

Ec's were pretty weak Imo. Many years working for my family business so took up a lot of time. Also I did conquer obesity. 

Anybody know where to find your AQ and NAQ scores? 

Other random info: mcat is 519, this is my first time applying to med school, and I totally 100% thought I was getting rejected from here. My Ec's are nothing compared to what other people's have been and I honestly rushed through my apps, spent much more time crafting through my Ontario ones. 

You won't get your AQ or NAQ scores unless you don't get accepted after the interview - so hopefully you never find out what they are!

TIME STAMP: 11:17am PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite and so grateful! 
AGPA (if applicable): ~83% I’m guessing
MCAT: 513
ECs: Varied, non-trad applicant (29)
Current Degree: Completed Masters

So grateful to get an interview...but definitely worried at the amount of people who have had “above average” interview scores and still not matriculated!!! 

OGPA : 85-86
MCAT: 512
ECs: Diverse community/international service, long term hobbies, extensive volunteering with diverse populations etc. NAQ last year 35+
Current Degree: BSc complete

Congratulations to all! Looking forward to meeting you at interview weekend!

43 minutes ago, hockeyislife said:

Do you know why you might have been rejected even with above average interview scores?

I know this question wasn't meant for me, but I have also been rejected with above average interview scores, 4 times. I've just received my 5th interview invite and am cautiously hopeful that this year will have a different outcome. As far as why I (or anyone) may be rejected with above average interview scores, no one knows for sure as the selection process is not very transparent. 

1 minute ago, sjw said:

I know this question wasn't meant for me, but I have also been rejected with above average interview scores, 4 times. I've just received my 5th interview invite and am cautiously hopeful that this year will have a different outcome. As far as why I (or anyone) may be rejected with above average interview scores, no one knows for sure as the selection process is not very transparent. 

Seconded.  Difficult to tell.  I think one of my references was weak, so that could have been a major point for me, as I mentioned to someone through DM. Otherwise it's really challenging to know where you're missing out.  I also had very weak prereqs in those years (when that mattered).  Definitely recommend vetting references thoroughly, but otherwise, anyone's guess.

Just now, cammerbot said:

Seconded.  Difficult to tell.  I think one of my references was weak, so that could have been a major point for me, as I mentioned to someone through DM. Otherwise it's really challenging to know where you're missing out.  I also had very weak prereqs in those years (when that mattered).  Definitely recommend vetting references thoroughly, but otherwise, anyone's guess.

I think for me it is my low GPA (<80%). Everything else is pretty rock solid. Unfortunately I have 8 years of school contributing to that GPA so moving it even 1 or 2 % would take a lot of extra course work. So....I just keep trying and hoping for the best!

GPA: 86%
MCAT: 505
ECs: Solid work history, volunteer soccer coach, some sports, music, published creative writing, honours degree (1 year research experience), volunteer and paid employee for Canucks Autism Network, hospital volunteer for two years, some entrance scholarships, part of a group of volunteers who distributes basic necessities to homeless women, team leader of a Naloxone teaching and dispensing unit, regional harm reduction coordinator for safe injection kits in the Okanagan. And then some other hobbies, activities.
Current Degree: grauduated with Bsc (honours microbio) in 2015

Congrats to everyone who got invited!! To those who didn't: don't ever give up, we've all been where you are. Let it push you and fuel the fire in you to do better, You'll get there!!

Excited to meet you all in Vancouver!

Archived