Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets 2017/2018

All I’m going to say is quite a few of us (possibly me included) are going to be receiving disappointing emails shortly. It will suck, it will sting. Do not let that get you down. Go out of your comfort zone, apply widely. I’m likely a bit older than most of you guys at 28, and I quit a good career to give this dream a shot. Never give up, never surrender! 

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, apple_med said:

All I’m going to say is quite a few of us (possibly me included) are going to be receiving disappointing emails shortly. It will suck, it will sting. Do not let that get you down. Go out of your comfort zone, apply widely. I’m likely a bit older than most of you guys at 28, and I quit a good career to give this dream a shot. Never give up, never surrender! 

A year older than u here! Same story though!

4 minutes ago, chickenpoutine said:

For those if you who are reapplying, how did you bounce back/deal with a rejection last year? Kinda worried I'll handle it badly esp in the middle of exam season

You work harder and savour it that much more when it eventually comes. There is no timeline in life...for anything. 

Just now, atsev1223 said:

Funny story here, I forgot to disable the notifications for replies. So every time you guys reply, I get an email with the title "interview invites, regrets blah blah". I get a mini heart attack every time before I get a chance to read that it says premed101.Dammit! 

Haha you can disable that at the bottom of the thread where the bar is that says “Following” with the checkmark. I had to do that at like 10am today lol!

5 minutes ago, chickenpoutine said:

For those if you who are reapplying, how did you bounce back/deal with a rejection last year? Kinda worried I'll handle it badly esp in the middle of exam season

Looking up to my friends and role models, seeing them not give up motivates me everyday. 

I rarely post on here but I just thought I would give my two cents with some of the questions circling... Are Mondays the only day for regrets? Definitely not. I was sent my regrets email sometime mid-week last year (I don't remember when because I quickly deleted that horrific email, so it wasn't the first thing I saw for the next few days or weeks when checking my email), and I vividly remember that I was sent regrets at the same time as others also receiving regrets, and others receiving invitations to interview. So it certainly wasn't as discrete as some seem to have the impression of. 

As for how to move on after regrets (lol) we've all worked so hard to get here and are completely invested in this career choice and life choice, but at the same time I hope we are all realistic of the competitive nature of this process. You can be an excellent candidate and not get an interview or not get accepted. But I will say from my personal experience I learnt a lot. I was able to see where my strengths are, how to write and think about my life experience in a broader way, and then most importantly getting to have interviews it taught me about the process and where I could improve. 

This is one of the stages in our future career, try to learn from it and enjoy the process. 

58 minutes ago, chickenpoutine said:

I think if people (myself included) receive a rejection, it's important to take time to allow yourself to grieve, because bottom line is - rejection sucks and we're all human! (I think :unsure:). Show yourself some love and compassion (do something self-nourishing) and then, envision your success on your exams and eventually realizing your goal of becoming a physician - and let that motivation keep you strong.

The bottom line is (and obv this is no secret) there are so many highly capable and competitive applicants. The odds are stacked against us when it comes to even getting an interview. I think the important thing to remember is that it's not personal, the inordinate number of rejections is because medical school is just such a competitive program to gain admission to. 

Archived