Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets 2017/2018

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, casajayo said:

All the posts I've seen here are from 5:10ish PST... Do we think we're done for the day? 

I checked my email an hour ago but too terrified to check it again while trying to finish up an end of term assignment

I sure hope so! I haven't received anything..... also have an assignment due tonight! Would love to focus :( 

TIME STAMP: 8:11 (EST)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA (if applicable):  N/A, OGPA = 90.73
MCAT: 517
ECs: NSERC USRA for 3 summers, 4 years of research, several university wide & provincial awards, ~550 hours of volunteering at a hospital, executive of 3 clubs (university science journal, a sport's team and a research club), founded a science competition, 5000+ hours of dancing & playing musical instruments, advisory board of my local library (back when I was in high school), tutoring, etc. (PM if you want more details)
Current Degree: 4th Year BSc
Geography: OOP
NAQ: 23.59
AQ: 31.85

TFR: 55.44

I can't say that I'm not disappointed in my NAQ score but I guess my activities are pretty generic right now. Oh well, at least I know what I need to improve on! Hopefully my AQ will be higher next year since I'll finally qualify for the AGPA. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear back! 

14 minutes ago, senotspets said:

That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm wondering if the changes include weighting long-term commitment more heavily this cycle? Personally, many of my activities were short-term (around 1 year since I did an exchange to Europe in my third year).

Difficult to say. For what its worth (and it may be meaningless since I may get a rejection on Weds) I had an NAQ of around 17 last year w/ an AQ that put me within 1 point of the cutoff. This year I have added some activities but I only added maybe 6-7 and these are short term additions (under 1 year) so relative to others I should have had a drop of several points as well, especially if long term commitments were granted more weighting. I haven't heard back from UBC yet (so hopefully that means good news) but that would mean I would have jumped up by 1-2 points which could be possible with different reviewers and the added activity. Again, this may be meaningless if I am actually on UBC's reject list and actually did drop by several points :). We should know by the end of the week

But yes, new dean = possible changes in the scoring (although some deans try not to make large changes during their first year their tenure as dean)

TIME STAMP: 8:20 (EST)
AGPA (if applicable):  86.25
MCAT: 510
ECs: many...many things
Current Degree: 5th Year BSc (trying to boost my GPA :( )
AQ: 24.54
NAQ: 36.26

TFR: 60.80

Seriously so sad right now. 

1 minute ago, silent_c said:

TIME STAMP: 11:00 (EST)
NAQ: 24.54
AQ: 36.26

The time stamp ON the actual email in your inbox from UBC was at 11pm EST? Or was this the time you checked it? 

Hi there, sorry to hear about your result :( . I was wondering how you were able to receive an AQ of 36.26 if your AGPA was 86.25? My OGPA was 90+ but my AQ was slightly below yours? 

2 minutes ago, Nandos said:

Difficult to say. For what its worth (and it may be meaningless since I may get a rejection on Weds) I had an NAQ of around 17 last year w/ an AQ that put me within 1 point of the cutoff. This year I have added some activities but I only added maybe 6-7 and these are short term additions (under 1 year) so relative to others I should have had a drop of several points as well, especially if long term commitments were granted more weighting. I haven't heard back from UBC yet (so hopefully that means good news) but that would mean I would have jumped up by 1-2 points which could be possible with different reviewers and the added activity. Again, this may be meaningless if I am actually on UBC's reject list and actually did drop by several points :). We should know by the end of the week

But yes, new dean = possible changes in the scoring (although some deans try not to make large changes during their first year their tenure as dean)

Interesting! Please do keep me/us updated :)

You just got this email? Or did it come later

Just now, tigerstripe15 said:

Hi there, sorry to hear about your result :( . I was wondering how you were able to receive an AQ of 36.26 if your AGPA was 86.25? My OGPA was 90+ but my AQ was slightly below yours? 

I totally mixed the two up! I need to go to bed haha I meant my NAQ was 36.26

1 hour ago, BioF said:

TIME STAMP: 5:12 PST
AGPA (if applicable): 82.42 (OGPA=78.49)
MCAT: 505
ECs: lots (1 first author publication, and another almost published; research; volunteering; exec/leadership roles in clubs)
Current Degree: MSc
Geography: IP
NAQ: 29.45
AQ: 18.30

TFR: 47.75

Very disappointing. My first two years of undergrad were horrendous - Paying for it now :(. Thinking about trying to take TRU-O courses while working full time this semester - could increase AGPA by 1%...is it worth it? I have some ideas for NAQ that will improve my score, but any suggestions for places to do classes after work (M-F after 5:30PM or weekends)

:(:( 

Night classes at a local college if available.

38 minutes ago, Nandos said:

People like to speculate a lot about the new dean in this thread. I wouldnt put much weight into it. UBC is a bureaucratic machine, and the dean doesn't have as much unanimous say as people would think

40 minutes ago, silent_c said:

TIME STAMP: 8:20 (EST)
AQ: 24.54
NAQ: 36.26

Strongly consider getting IP status for UBC if possible, even more so if your odds elsewhere aren't as great(depends on breakdown of the 510)

1 hour ago, BioF said:

TIME STAMP: 5:12 PST
AGPA (if applicable): 82.42 (OGPA=78.49)
MCAT: 505
ECs: lots (1 first author publication, and another almost published; research; volunteering; exec/leadership roles in clubs)
Current Degree: MSc
NAQ: 29.45
AQ: 18.30

TFR: 47.75

Very disappointing. My first two years of undergrad were horrendous - Paying for it now :(. Thinking about trying to take TRU-O courses while working full time this semester - could increase AGPA by 1%...is it worth it? I have some ideas for NAQ that will improve my score, but any suggestions for places to do classes after work (M-F after 5:30PM or weekends)

:(:( 

Just confirming that TRU-O courses are Thompson River Uni open learning courses. How will these courses help improve AGPA? Are you taking them as part of your MSc? Or can you take them as separate on their own? 

TIME STAMP: 8:11 (EST)
AGPA (if applicable): Supposedly "83.34" but that's completely inaccurate. My transcript is from the U.S. and only letter grades are reported. My GPA is really a 3.7 which is equivalent to an A- average. At my university, an A- is a 90-92% in a class. UBC converts an A- to 82%. It's ridiculous. 
MCAT: 517
ECs: Shadowing, multiple long-term volunteering engagements, research, leadership experience, activism, strong commitment to the underserved. 
Current Degree: Bachelor of Arts, 4th year student
AQ: 19.80
NAQ: 25.94

TFR: 45.74

Good luck to those of you still in the running! Luckily I'm holding multiple acceptances at US medical schools and I intend to practice in the US, so I can't say that I'm too disappointed. However, it would have been nice to get some love from my in-province school. Hopefully they transition to a more holistic review soon - so many of you have incredible ECs and would make incredible doctors. 

To all those curious about courses post-degree: yes they count!! 

UBC, SFU, AU, TRU-OL for sure will count (but if not through UBC it's best to check the transfer guide for each course to be sure). Any other schools and you will have to check the transfer guide or email adcom (in the new year maybe or at least next week after this week dies down) and ask about particular courses or programs.

I did some UNCL through UBC and am currently taking classes from UBC, TRU-OL, and AU.

TIME STAMP: 8:14 (EST)
Interview Invite or Regrets: RAGRETS
AGPA (if applicable): 
MCAT: 520
ECs: The premed equivalent of stat padding is probably the best way to describe my ECs. However for those who would like a quick laugh here they are: Science expo ambassador, co-op at the ministry of the environment, Volunteering at local hospital, a semester of research with a prof, some basketball, boxing, weightlifting and volunteering at a basketball camp with youth.  Honestly, from a purely objective point of view, my EC's were complete garbage but its nice to be given quantitative feedback on exactly how garbage UBC thought my ECs were.  
Current Degree: Graduated with BSc in Biomedical Sciences
AQ: 35.73
NAQ: 12.47 (LMFAO)

TFR: 48.20

Am I surprised? Not sure. Is there a tub of ice cream in my hands right now to ease the pain? Refuse to say. Honestly I felt a bit down until I went on here and saw how amazing everyone else's applications were. I was going to go on a long rant about how nobody should give up but after seeing these numbers I would like to urge everybody else to please give up and stop applying. I simply cannot handle this level of competition and my lack of introspectiveness means I cannot by any means look inward and try to improve myself. My only chance is to somehow make the competition look worse in comparison and this can only be done if everybody else stops applying altogether. 

First time applicant, long-time lurker 

TIME STAMP: 5:12pm PST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA (if applicable): 83.39
MCAT: 514
ECs: President of a club for 4 years, 3.5 years working at a coffee shop, 2 summers working in a federal government lab, 2 years research in a lab at university, 4th author on a paper (couldn't include it under publications since I wasn't 1st or 2nd author), 1 year volunteering at a hospital, started a mentorship program with my undergrad student society, lots of random volunteering etc... from HS. 
Current Degree: BSc completed, finishing up MBA in April
NAQ: 18.50
AQ: 19.85

TFR: 38.35

Figured I wouldn't get an interview this cycle due to low GPA, but MBA grades will be counted in future cycles. Was expecting a higher NAQ - seem's like they were savage in the NAQ grading this year based on other posts... Good luck to all those who survived the cull! 

Archived