Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets 2017/2018

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, med_iris said:

Just got a personal email on the MD/PhD invite!!! Super hyped! 

Nothing updated in OAS yet. Maybe MD/PhD II is a separate process. 

Interview Date 2/4-2/5~

Congrats Med_Iris!!

did you line up your supervisor/discuss project beforehand for the application? Or does pairing happen afterwards?

12 minutes ago, pekingduck said:

The email a few weeks ago said they will inform all applicants by Dec 8th. Does that mean they don’t send out all regular deadline invites at once? Or there will be a few rejections on Friday? 

Historically no one has heard anything on Friday, so it seems that they inform everyone on the Thursday.

4 minutes ago, BioF said:

Congrats Med_Iris!!

did you line up your supervisor/discuss project beforehand for the application? Or does pairing happen afterwards?

Being an OOP applicant and decided to apply MD/PhD from regular MD kinda last minute, I did not get a chance to reach out to supervisors individually prior to application submission. I basically went over the UBC website and proposed a few projects/PIs that I am interested. However, I do think reaching out earlier should be beneficial (esp if you are IP). First time applicant here, so if anyone has more information, please share!!! Thanks :)

TIME STAMP: 1:54 PM (December 6th)
Interview Invite or Regrets: MD/PhD Invite!
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA (if applicable):  ~87%
MCAT: 509
ECs: Lots of research experience (2 NSERC summers, 1 NSERC-CGS, NSF award), 5 publications (not 1st author tho), 2 posters w/ award), presidents for two student clubs, exec for 3 other organizations, volunteer overseas for one summer to support undeserved population, co-founder for a tech startup, some volunteering/shadowing, hobbies (marathon runner, etc), some high school activities (waitress, tutoring, school band, etc)
Current Degree: Graduated from 1-year master degree in Bioengineering (US Ivy League)
Geography: OOP
NAQ: N/A
AQ: probably around 25-26

After reading many people's reject posts from Monday, I honestly don't think my ECs are exceptional. It is probably around average just with some well-balanced activities (i guess?) I think my research experience is probably something helped me on my application. Also being a non-trad with 2 years working experience as a life sciences consultant, it may add to show my maturity. 

I just wanted to say I am grateful for this opportunity to interview for the UBC MD/PhD program. My GPA and MCAT are probably sub-par compared to many other applicants. So don't give up and find something that you can really stand out and shine! 

6 hours ago, BioF said:

Hey Clever Smart Boy, thanks for your tips!!

If I have a full time job, do you think it’s doable to pull off 4 courses from now until mid April (evenings and weekends through TRU-O), or am I crazy?

You know yourself best but, have you ever taught yourself a course before? If you haven't you may find it is a bit different than in-class courses. I think with working fulltime and studying you would be struggling with 4 classes, and getting B's or worse isn't worth it at this stage right?

In short: I wouldn't.  Can you take a 4 month break from working? If not, I think you could definitely manage 1 course at least, maybe 2. But again - you know yourself best.

1 hour ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

You know yourself best but, have you ever taught yourself a course before? If you haven't you may find it is a bit different than in-class courses. I think with working fulltime and studying you would be struggling with 4 classes, and getting B's or worse isn't worth it at this stage right?

In short: I wouldn't.  Can you take a 4 month break from working? If not, I think you could definitely manage 1 course at least, maybe 2. But again - you know yourself best.

Thank you for the sage advice. I have taught myself several things, but particularly relevant was studying for the mcat. I did this entirely solo, two months studying while working two part-time jobs. Admittedly, it didn't reflect well in my score (505). I think a good course of action will be to take Psych and Soc. courses through TRU-O, and I'll kill two birds with one stone (mcat study and increase GPA). 

I'll see how far I get through those two, and gauge whether I can complete two more by the June 22 cutoff.

Thoughts? I think this might be worthwhile to kill myself in the next 5 months; according to the eqn I would get a 2 pt increase if I raised my gpa by 1.5%.

2 hours ago, BioF said:

Thank you for the sage advice. I have taught myself several things, but particularly relevant was studying for the mcat. I did this entirely solo, two months studying while working two part-time jobs. Admittedly, it didn't reflect well in my score (505). I think a good course of action will be to take Psych and Soc. courses through TRU-O, and I'll kill two birds with one stone (mcat study and increase GPA). 

I'll see how far I get through those two, and gauge whether I can complete two more by the June 22 cutoff.

Thoughts? I think this might be worthwhile to kill myself in the next 5 months; according to the eqn I would get a 2 pt increase if I raised my gpa by 1.5%.

This sounds good - the upside is if you find completing two by April 30 while working f/t is too hard you can always finish them before the June 1 cutoff (or whenever your 6 month cutoff is for the courses; whichever is earlier). 

Safe plan. Let me know how it goes! 

Meant to post this earlier

IP Early Deadline Invite 9:43 PST.

5th Application, 4th Interview 

Year: Graduated 2013

OGPA: 79.1 

AGPA: 81.48

Old MCAT: 31

New MCAT: 509

ECs: Long term care centers, Tutoring, Mentoring, Non Profit Organizations Executive Work, Student club involvement, Varsity Sports, Unique Hobbies, Research (No Pubs), Travel and Volunteering in my home country).  Kept 2 Jobs in School, work 3 after Graduating. 

Hopefully Fourth time's the charm. Looking forward to interview practice with fellow interviewees. 

25 minutes ago, Lothrandir said:

Meant to post this earlier

IP Early Deadline Invite 9:43 PST.

5th Application, 4th Interview 

Year: Graduated 2013

OGPA: 79.1 

AGPA: 81.48

Old MCAT: 31

New MCAT: 509

ECs: Long term care centers, Tutoring, Mentoring, Non Profit Organizations Executive Work, Student club involvement, Varsity Sports, Unique Hobbies, Research (No Pubs), Travel and Volunteering in my home country).  Kept 2 Jobs in School, work 3 after Graduating. 

Hopefully Fourth time's the charm. Looking forward to interview practice with fellow interviewees. 

Let's get in this year!! 3rd app, hopefully(?) 2nd interview. :D good luck!! And good job getting so far!

Archived