Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets 2017/2018

5 minutes ago, Persephone said:

I don't know for sure, but to me that sounds like you'd be counted as IP...especially since part of the appeal of having that status waived would be opening up the number of available interview spots for you. Only 81 OOP get invited every year. That would also make sense given that OOP Aboriginal students are included in that waiver as well.

Seems like that would make the most sense, thanks!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received my incomplete file review...no interview  email before 1:00PM MST this time  last year. Sadly my average when converted was shy of the OOP 85%.  It was kinda hard to process as I had been one of those who had completed all the hard core sciences that used to be part of UBC's pre-reqs.  Here's hoping for this year!

Just got my interview rejection... I barely missed the out of province cut-off of 85%. Kinda stings... 

Anybody know if it is possible and/or worth asking for a reassessment of my GPA?

I took two college level summer courses between 11th and 12th grade. I got a B and a B- that summer. Is it possible that those grades are what messed me over? I did not even want to send them in cause I was in high-school at the time in, but again they were technically college level courses...

TIME STAMP: 3:05PM EST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets, Partial File Review
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA (if applicable): 84.87
MCAT:  514
Current Degree: Bachelor's in Biology
Geography: Out of Province

16 minutes ago, mustardman said:

Just got my interview rejection... I barely missed the out of province cut-off of 85%. Kinda stings... 

Anybody know if it is possible and/or worth asking for a reassessment of my GPA?

I took two college level summer courses between 11th and 12th grade. I got a B and a B- that summer. Is it possible that those grades are what messed me over? I did not even want to send them in cause I was in high-school at the time in, but again they were technically college level courses...

TIME STAMP: 3:05PM EST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets, Partial File Review
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA (if applicable): 84.87
MCAT:  514
Current Degree: Bachelor's in Biology
Geography: Out of Province

0.13%?! That’s horrible :/ Thanks very much for posting to help the rest of us...and good luck on your other apps!! 

Hey MM,

I feel your pain!  The A's we achieve in Alberta that are equivalent to a 4.0 are reduced .... to 87% at UBC. Totally stings but those are their rules and we are in their sandbox.  I like you, was just below the cutoff and they do not round up (or so I was told.) I completed a tough undergrad degree this past spring.  So the good news is that my worst academic year is dropped for this cycle. Maybe I am still in the running? Who knows? Being an OOP definitely presents its challenges no matter what the province.  Regarding summer courses in high school, they may be factored in if they are part of the English pre-reqs.  I am sure that someone more knowledgeable on these boards can chime in with more insight.  Good luck on your other apps!

Hey guys, another applicant anxiously waiting for my results...

Looking at the AQs and GPAs from past statistics makes me really worried. For the previous cycles, people with my GPA had higher AQs than what I got last year (I was in third year when I applied). Do you know if the formula for AQ changes every year? It just seems realllly off.

Does anyone know a rough formula for how they calculate the AQ from the GPA?

^yeah that's what I saw too. I think people like me, who were in their 2nd year BSC when they removed the pre-reqs suffer a lot more than the rest of the applicant pool, as I HAD to take those hard pre-req gpa killers. And every year, we get more of those who did not have to take the pre-reqs and the AQ goes higher and the applicant pool become more competitive. I literary know people who are breezing through their bachelor with gpa boosters and relatively easy majors, and as long as they meet the MCAT cut-off, they'll get an interview :(

Oh well, we can only try harder. Let's hope that it would be a quiet day today.

33 minutes ago, atsev1223 said:

^yeah that's what I saw too. I think people like me, who were in their 2nd year BSC when they removed the pre-reqs suffer a lot more than the rest of the applicant pool, as I HAD to take those hard pre-req gpa killers. And every year, we get more of those who did not have to take the pre-reqs and the AQ goes higher and the applicant pool become more competitive. I literary know people who are breezing through their bachelor with gpa boosters and relatively easy majors, and as long as they meet the MCAT cut-off, they'll get an interview :(

Oh well, we can only try harder. Let's hope that it would be a quiet day today.

No they wont. This is patently wrong. 

NAQ plays a huge role pre-interview.  Few are  "breezing" through their degrees with GPA boosters.  The pre-reqs mind you, most people still did well in those classes too.

Just now, Nmmmed said:

Hi everyone! 

Are u guys absolutely sure that the regrets are only sent out on Mondays? 

Looking through old threads, like the one for last year, it seems like a few went out on Wed. I doubt that they would only go out during the office hours. It is not like they are sending emails one by one. It is probably automated, maybe some staff are just monitoring the process? I think I got mine late at night last year, at like 9 pm PST. Not sure though. It is all blurry :D

Just now, atsev1223 said:

Looking through old threads, like the one for last year, it seems like a few went out on Wed. I doubt that they would only go out during the office hours. It is not like they are sending emails one by one. It is probably automated, maybe some staff are just monitoring the process? I think I got mine late at night last year, at like 9 pm PST. Not sure though. It is all blurry :D

9pm PST?!? Are you able to check your old emails? That seems very late. 

1 minute ago, apple_med said:

9pm PST?!? Are you able to check your old emails? That seems very late. 

Glad I checked again. Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 4:57 PM. That's when I got it. I might have checked my email later on that night or something...sorry for the confusion.

Anyways, even looking at that email made me cringe.

Just now, atsev1223 said:

Glad I checked again. Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 4:57 PM. That's when I got it. I might have checked my email later on that night or something...sorry for the confusion.

Anyways, even looking at that email made me cringe.

Let’s hope it’s different this year!

They come in waves right? That's what I realized when I was looking at last year's thread. Like all the sudden at 2 pm (for example), a bunch of people posted that they got an email. Then at 4:30 a bunch of other people got the email. It's weird that so far there has been only 2 partial file reviews.

Archived