Premed 101 Forums

What level of French proficiency is required for Mcgill's Montreal sites (family medicine residency)

medigeek

4 hours ago, la marzocco said:

Interesting - the revamped exam does make more sense.

Ha. That contract... not sure when they will do away with it :) 

Perhaps a legal perspective could shed some light..?  Here's my understanding - the entente is mainly between New Brunswick and Québec.  In the past, New Brunswickers trained in Québec and maybe both provinces preferred the New Brunswickers not to stay in Québec due to personnel, cost subsidization, etc..  

However, now NBers train physically in NB, through a satellite Sherbrooke campus.  Would a civil contract like this apply when someone is outside Québec -i.e. physically in NB?

A couple other points I thought about:

i) it probably effects francophones slightly more, since anglophones would have greater ease going somewhere else;

ii) there's going to be little motivation to change it, since it essentially could increase the number of people/applicants (in Montreal say) for given positions even if very marginally, plus in theory the government could benefit from anyone who does end up doing a ROS.

The only counterargument (that I thought of) is for instance someone like yourself, highly adapted to the Québec system in for instance a specialized field would be possibly discouraged to stay due to the contract. 

Archived