Premed 101 Forums

How much will this increase the chances of me getting into med school?

So, my father has a close friend whos husband happens to be one of the most well known and best ophthalmologists in all of Canada. I'm sure once it comes time I may be able to shadow him as well as get a letter of recommendation from him. How much will this actually impact my application? Will they view this as just another doctor? If you're wondering, I just started Uni this past September. Thanks!

I'm under the impression that a letter of reference from someone who hasn't seen you doing anything other than shadowing would be relatively worthless. It would be hard for him to back how you demonstrate many of the CanMEDS competencies if all you're doing is shadowing. In my opinion, it would probably be more valuable to get a letter of recommandation from a professor or a PI that has known you for a long time and has actually worked with you. On the other hand, if he is indeed well known in the academic ophtalmology world and you can do research with him, that letter of recommandation could carry a lot of weight. That would be especially true at this physician's university.

If he mentions knowing your father and so on, it would probably detrimental to your application (for fear of it looking like some form of "nepotism").

On 12/2/2017 at 3:23 PM, DOTHISALLDAY said:

So, my father has a close friend whos husband happens to be one of the most well known and best ophthalmologists in all of Canada. I'm sure once it comes time I may be able to shadow him as well as get a letter of recommendation from him. How much will this actually impact my application? Will they view this as just another doctor? If you're wondering, I just started Uni this past September. Thanks!

Zero

Archived