Premed 101 Forums

Higher R-Score? Less spots?

According to https://www.usherbrooke.ca/doctorat-medecine/admission/questions-en-rafale/#c60850-1, in the college category for 2017, 639 people were invited to the 2nd stage and the last R-Score called was 34.038.

However, according to https://www.usherbrooke.ca/doctorat-medecine/admission/questions-en-rafale/#c60850-2, back in 2016 for the same category, 762 people were invited and the last R-Score was 33.60.

What caused this rather significant change, and what are we to expect from Sherbrooke in 2018 ... ?

22 minutes ago, FutureDoc99 said:

According to https://www.usherbrooke.ca/doctorat-medecine/admission/questions-en-rafale/#c60850-1, in the college category for 2017, 639 people were invited to the 2nd stage and the last R-Score called was 34.038.

However, according to https://www.usherbrooke.ca/doctorat-medecine/admission/questions-en-rafale/#c60850-2, back in 2016 for the same category, 762 people were invited and the last R-Score was 33.60.

What caused this rather significant change, and what are we to expect from Sherbrooke in 2018 ... ?

This is all my speculation, so take this with a grain of salt. As mentioned in this thread below, Sherbrooke is going to reduce 8 seats for the incoming class in 2018. I imagine there will be even lesser invitees for interviews for 2018 admission cycle than the previous two and an even higher R-score would be required.

This is not all that shocking, however. The average R-score required have been increasing for the past few years at Laval/Montreal/Sherby. 

On 12/5/2017 at 8:37 PM, la marzocco said:

This is all my speculation, so take this with a grain of salt. As mentioned in this thread below, Sherbrooke is going to reduce 8 seats for the incoming class in 2018. I imagine there will be even lesser invitees for interviews for 2018 admission cycle than the previous two and an even higher R-score would be required.

This is not all that shocking, however. The average R-score required have been increasing for the past few years at Laval/Montreal/Sherby. 

Is the number of residency spots going to stay the same?

3 hours ago, Med Life Crisis said:

Is the number of residency spots going to stay the same?

I don't think they commented on that. But, Quebec has one of the highest match rates regionally than ROC. If you go to slide 7, Quebec has a % unmatched current year CMGs rate of 0.9% in 2017.

Coupled with the fact that there were 64 residency positions remained unfilled; 56 were in family medicine, all of which were in Quebec. I think even if they were to cut some residency spots, it shouldn't have too much of an adverse impact - at least from Quebec CMGs matching to Quebec residencies perspective. 

2 hours ago, MedCoachMD said:

To answer your original question, they may be looking for candidates who are more well rounded in the extra-curriculars and are paying less attention to R scores. Or it just so happens that last year they couldn't find what they were looking for in the higher R-scores so they went lower.

I sure hope you're not actually trying to start a coaching business if you can't be bothered to know that the french schools do not consider ECs and make their interview invites purely on the basis of the R score.

3 hours ago, MedCoachMD said:

To answer your original question, they may be looking for candidates who are more well rounded in the extra-curriculars and are paying less attention to R scores. Or it just so happens that last year they couldn't find what they were looking for in the higher R-scores so they went lower.

Tu pouvais pas avoir l'air plus incompétent que ça dude

17 hours ago, Snowmen said:

I sure hope you're not actually trying to start a coaching business if you can't be bothered to know that the french schools do not consider ECs and make their interview invites purely on the basis of the R score.

The R score, whatever it really is and measures, is used for collégiens and most universitaire.  Other catégories within universitaire have other admission criteria, including ECs.

19 hours ago, MedCoachMD said:

I'm guessing more people would have been interviewed if there was a feeling that they could be selected for admission based on combined R score and interview performance... i.e. high R score doesn't necessarily guarantee great interview.

• 1 month later...

The reason why last year there were less people invited to UdeS and UdeM interview was because ULaval didn't do interviews last year...

Since it's the same interview that we do for ULaval, UdeM and UdeS in one of these 3 university, and since ULaval didn't do interviews, there were less place for inviting candidates to interviews last year, so UdeM and UdeS invited less people last year, so the minimal R-Score was higher last year...

And because they changed the way they calculate R-Score for Collegians this year, the R-Score may be high again this year...

Archived