Premed 101 Forums

I need some advice

Hey everyone, 

I am hoping to go to medical school however i feel i lack the gpa. I had gone through a lot of family issues which gave me a lot anxiety and issues focusing on my work resulting in a really really low first year gpa. I am currently in second year now and i think ill be able to pull off only a ~3.6 which makes me really nervous for the future. 

I know that alberta and calgary take away the lowest year if you complete 3 year of full time studies. However, if i want to stay in Ontario what are my chances looking like right now.. How common are western conditional offers? 

Also if i score a 4.0, hopefully, in third year by gpa will by ~3.8  how would the 3.6 look like?

For queens if i do score well in third year and do a lot health care experience and volunteering would i stand a chance?

Any advice to getting into med school relating to experience or other factors that would help me stand out is much appreciated! 

At this point im just looking for some realistic advice if anyone has other options of getting an M.D. please share, any advice would be appreciated!  

There are no easy answers. Do people with a lower gpa get into medical school, absolutely (think 3.3 area). These individuals typically excel in all other aspects of their applications (including MCAT). Schools vary in how they calculate GPA (some drop a year, some take best 2 years, etc). General advice: you want to excel as much as possible in all aspects of your application. This is a competition in the end -but if you do your best, and are unsuccessful, you have nothing to be ashamed of. So get the best gpa possible, and mcat, and etc etc. and throw you cards onto the table - you have nothing to loose other than the application fees. Too much time is spent by pre-med students wondering 'what if' - no one knows for sure. Go for it - you have one life to live. Don't waste it worrying about 'what if's.'

PMD

Archived