Premed 101 Forums

Verifyers

TheApplicant

6 minutes ago, Elgar said:

I've read on previous thread that some people had their verifyers called, but it seems very rare indeed. I guess that they contact them if they have serious doubts about your CV, and perhaps they contact a few random ones.

Granted, ECs are only 10% of your pre-interview score. IMO - from a cost-benefit perspective, it's not worth the mileage to verify intensely. 

7 minutes ago, Nietzsche_hammer said:

If you write that you are Indinia Jones that will require a serious investigation for mental illness. 

Some schools certainly focus on ECs more, but a 70% GPA + 20% CASPer formula at McGill leaves very little room for ECs to matter. This is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt if you may. I know UBC focuses more intensely on ECs and generate a NAQ score which is a significant component of the pre-interview ranking.. which makes sense why they verify intensely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 3:55 PM, MEDusa said:

From what I heard, verifiers are rarely contacted if not ever. I never heard that someone had their verifiers called before. 

One of my verifiers was called 2 years ago for a current volunteer position, and it wasn't for anything too outrageous or impressive. They can randomly fact check whatever you've listed as part of that activity on your CV (responsibilities, start/end dates, etc) - nothing more, nothing less. 

On 02/01/2018 at 7:42 PM, caribou said:

One of my verifiers was called 2 years ago for a current volunteer position, and it wasn't for anything too outrageous or impressive. They can randomly fact check whatever you've listed as part of that activity on your CV (responsibilities, start/end dates, etc) - nothing more, nothing less. 

Good to know! 

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Neji3 said:

One of my verifiers got contacted but had retired last month. The replacement that was contacted had trouble verifying the volunteer work. Is this an issue? Invites come out next week, I'm worried they'll reject me!

To have a peace of mind, can you find a way to contact the person who had retired and have them either call the admissions directly or call the replacement to confirm that you were in fact a volunteer ? Personally, I don't think that it would be a cause of your rejection if your overall file is excellent.

4 hours ago, Neji3 said:

One of my verifiers got contacted but had retired last month. The replacement that was contacted had trouble verifying the volunteer work. Is this an issue? Invites come out next week, I'm worried they'll reject me!

I thought they would contact verifiers post-interview - surprised that they are doing so prior to offering interviews. Congrats though - overall seems like a good sign of serious consideration for the interviews (I doubt they would call verifiers of all people they were interested in interviewing....)

Would you mind sharing which number you had listed this verifier at? For the verifiers, they said to list them in priority and I am curious to know whether they called the first couple or one of the middle ones. 

Hope it works out for you!!!

14 hours ago, MEDusa said:

To have a peace of mind, can you find a way to contact the person who had retired and have them either call the admissions directly or call the replacement to confirm that you were in fact a volunteer ? Personally, I don't think that it would be a cause of your rejection if your overall file is excellent.

Thank you! I feel a bit more relieved now!!

9 hours ago, interestedinmed99 said:

I thought they would contact verifiers post-interview - surprised that they are doing so prior to offering interviews. Congrats though - overall seems like a good sign of serious consideration for the interviews (I doubt they would call verifiers of all people they were interested in interviewing....)

Would you mind sharing which number you had listed this verifier at? For the verifiers, they said to list them in priority and I am curious to know whether they called the first couple or one of the middle ones. 

Hope it works out for you!!!

Thanks! My first and third verifiers were contacted. The first is my supervisor and the third, a volunteer manager at the hospital I used to volunteer at (she retired though!).

Archived