Premed 101 Forums

Took the DAT in November

I recently took the Canadian DAT in November and got these scores.
Reading comp: 20
BIOL: 18
Chem: 17
Sci Total: 18
Academic Average: 18
PAT: 14
MDT: 6

This was my first time taking the DAT, and I went into it with zero preparation, based off these scores alone do you think there is any chance I could make it into a Canadian Dental school or should I retake the DAT in February and actually prepare properly this time.

My GPA right now is at 3.7, but by the time i finish it'll probably be around 3.8-3.9ish

Your GPA is alright but I highly doubt you'd have a chance for a dental school with that PAT score/MDT and nothing else to really boost your chances like a 23-24+ score and a higher GPA. I'd highly encourage you to retake it in Feb and prepare. Imo and you can ignore it but going into the DAT with zero preparation is kind of a waste even if you had plans to take it again because there was a chance you didn't have to take it again if you did well. 

14 minutes ago, WE WUZ KANGZ said:

Your GPA is alright but I highly doubt you'd have a chance for a dental school with that PAT score/MDT and nothing else to really boost your chances like a 23-24+ score and a higher GPA. I'd highly encourage you to retake it in Feb and prepare. Imo and you can ignore it but going into the DAT with zero preparation is kind of a waste even if you had plans to take it again because there was a chance you didn't have to take it again if you did well. 

Yeah that's my plan. I'm going to work my ass off for this February DAT and make sure i get 20+ in all sections. The only reason I went in with zero prep was I underestimated how much time I needed to study + I had 4 midterms in that same week so I had to prioritize those. The February DAT is going to be during reading week, so I know I won't have any midterms. :) Thanks for the input. 

1 minute ago, ronzroyce97 said:

Yeah that's my plan. I'm going to work my ass off for this February DAT and make sure i get 20+ in all sections. The only reason I went in with zero prep was I underestimated how much time I needed to study + I had 4 midterms in that same week so I had to prioritize those. The February DAT is going to be during reading week, so I know I won't have any midterms. :) Thanks for the input. 

Hope you do well! I also saw your other post about finances so for some extra encouragement just remember you're studying to possibly save a few hundred thousands :P 

2 hours ago, ronzroyce97 said:

TBH you really should start prepping like a couple of months in advance, that last week really should be light review of the core things that need to be memorized and going through practice test to get the timing down, but having 4 exams is still brutal that alone would ware me down. 

good luck!:)

1 hour ago, ronzroyce97 said:

I'll be writing in Feb :)

solid! its funny because the FEB DAT usually goes over much better for students and im not sure if thats because people usually have experience going into it since its usually their second time or because less people write it or what but will be interesting to compare your scores!

12 hours ago, Super Nova said:

solid! its funny because the FEB DAT usually goes over much better for students and im not sure if thats because people usually have experience going into it since its usually their second time or because less people write it or what but will be interesting to compare your scores!

its not good to let that get into your head. Sometimes you get into the mentality that its easier will make you take your foot off the pedal while you study which will result in a WORSE score. Not saying that this WILL happen, but its good to keep this in mind

Archived