Premed 101 Forums

Behavioral Neuroscience at Concordia

DrNutrition

Hi there! 

Are you/do you know someone who got in med school in Quebec after completing the BSc. Psych Behavioral Neuroscience at Concordia? What are your impressions? Is it a good option for someone who’s trying to increase her current GPA (3.1/4.3 from BSc. Human Dietetics and Nutrition) to get into med school (hopefully Mcgill) ? 

Any advice would help! 

Cheers :)

4 hours ago, DrNutrition said:

Hi there! 

Are you/do you know someone who got in med school in Quebec after completing the BSc. Psych Behavioral Neuroscience at Concordia? What are your impressions? Is it a good option for someone who’s trying to increase her current GPA (3.1/4.3 from BSc. Human Dietetics and Nutrition) to get into med school (hopefully Mcgill) ? 

Any advice would help! 

Cheers :)

Dude seriously at 3.1 GPA I would not question the program, but my study habits. 3.1 is pretty low and way out of range of any Canadian schools even Carebean. Do you have a specific reason? Is there a progression in your grades ? What makes you think you can handle the med school curriculum. 

Sorry to be a dream crusher, but let’s be realistic bro the road is not going to be rainbows and sunshine. You’ll have to work hard over a long period. Can you handle it? That’s the question I would ask myself whatever the program you choose.

2 hours ago, Nietzsche_hammer said:

Dude seriously at 3.1 GPA I would not question the program, but my study habits. 3.1 is pretty low and way out of range of any Canadian schools even Carebean. Do you have a specific reason? Is there a progression in your grades ? What makes you think you can handle the med school curriculum. 

Sorry to be a dream crusher, but let’s be realistic bro the road is not going to be rainbows and sunshine. You’ll have to work hard over a long period. Can you handle it? That’s the question I would ask myself whatever the program you choose.

Hey @Nietzsche_hammer, thank you for your answer and for giving me your opinion. I do understand that 3.1 is pretty low for someone who wants to get into med school, but I unfortunately didn’t always prioritize my studies while doing my undergrad. I started my degree with only C and D’s but finished years later with straight A’s. I now work as a pediatric dietitian in a world-renowned children’s hospital, I also worked in the humanitarian sector as a dietitian with the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. I have a pretty strong resume. 

I understand that I messed it up with my first years of uni where I only did the bare minimum to pass since I thought I wanted to be a dietitian, but I definitely have the level to get into medical school. I’m also looking forward to a reform of the actual a system which prioritizes academic standings way too much in my opinion. Hopefully with the Casper test that just arrived in Quebec they’ll be able to screen people that have both the academic + personality requirements. I have unfortunately met way to many doctors while working as a dietitian that probably got there because they’re amazing on record, but they end up being awful at dealing with people. Anyway I’m still hopeful and truly know my value, but thanks for sharing your concerns!

30 minutes ago, DrNutrition said:

Hey @Nietzsche_hammer, thank you for your answer and for giving me your opinion. I do understand that 3.1 is pretty low for someone who wants to get into med school, but I unfortunately didn’t always prioritize my studies while doing my undergrad. I started my degree with only C and D’s but finished years later with straight A’s. I now work as a pediatric dietitian in a world-renowned children’s hospital, I also worked in the humanitarian sector as a dietitian with the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. I have a pretty strong resume. 

I understand that I messed it up with my first years of uni where I only did the bare minimum to pass since I thought I wanted to be a dietitian, but I definitely have the level to get into medical school. I’m also looking forward to a reform of the actual a system which prioritizes academic standings way too much in my opinion. Hopefully with the Casper test that just arrived in Quebec they’ll be able to screen people that have both the academic + personality requirements. I have unfortunately met way to many doctors while working as a dietitian that probably got there because they’re amazing on record, but they end up being awful at dealing with people. Anyway I’m still hopeful and truly know my value, but thanks for sharing your concerns!

You’re absolutely right my #1 complaint about French schools. You have a shot at McGill because they consider only your second bachelor. 

I wish you the best of luck mate. I really didn’t want to discourage you. I did the CASPer don’t worry about it it’s mostly common sense. The ability to react fast and analyze a situation in different aspects. You can practice yourself on their website and even pay coaches for further review (which I did). 

Archived