Premed 101 Forums

Best Pre-med major?

For my major, I'm thinking of doing Microbiology because introductory microbio did catch my interest. However, is this a difficult degree and do later year microbio courses harm your GPA? 

And if so, are there any other biology programs that would be more suitable as a pre-med major?

Honestly, do what interests you. Down the road studying for what you're interested in will get you a better GPA because it'll be hard to keep yourself motivated to study something you aren't interested in. I'm not a microbio major so I'm not sure what the courses are like but even if others say they are hard, if you're interested in them and put in the effort, you'll do well 

58 minutes ago, hash.me said:

For my major, I'm thinking of doing Microbiology because introductory microbio did catch my interest. However, is this a difficult degree and do later year microbio courses harm your GPA? 

And if so, are there any other biology programs that would be more suitable as a pre-med major?

Take what interests you. But, make sure you hit those bare minimum prerequisites so that it will allow you to apply more broadly than otherwise.

Canadian med schools are much more forward-thinking in comparison to US med schools and many schools have either reduced the number of prerequisites required or even dropped prerequisites altogether. But to make sure you qualify for admissions for as many schools as possible, make sure you survey what are required at various Canadian medical schools and tailor your classes as such to include them.

Other than that, there isn't really any one 'pre-med' major that is more suitable.

Archived