Premed 101 Forums

1 Years Course-Based Masters OR Work/Volunteer in Clinical Research?

I am graduating from undergrad this year and currently in the process of planning what I will do in the event that I am not accepted into med school this year and will have to re-apply next cycle. 

The two most practical choices (from my point of view) are what I listed in the title. Taking a course-based masters in a health-related field would be interesting and provides me with a degree that would be useful even upon completion of an MD - and though a research-based masters would look better on my app, it would also prevent me from applying next year. However, the idea of doing clinical research is very exciting and interesting for me - especially since it would be a breath of fresh air to work and earn my own money as opposed to doing yet another year of school. 

Curious to hear what you guys think would be a better choice in terms of improving the overall quality of my med school application (or at least the EC's).

4 hours ago, BalkanRelations said:

I am graduating from undergrad this year and currently in the process of planning what I will do in the event that I am not accepted into med school this year and will have to re-apply next cycle. 

The two most practical choices (from my point of view) are what I listed in the title. Taking a course-based masters in a health-related field would be interesting and provides me with a degree that would be useful even upon completion of an MD - and though a research-based masters would look better on my app, it would also prevent me from applying next year. However, the idea of doing clinical research is very exciting and interesting for me - especially since it would be a breath of fresh air to work and earn my own money as opposed to doing yet another year of school. 

Curious to hear what you guys think would be a better choice in terms of improving the overall quality of my med school application (or at least the EC's).

Both. Volunteer in clinical research while completing your course-based Masters.

58 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Both. Volunteer in clinical research while completing your course-based Masters.

Believe it or not this obvious choice didn't occur to me until now because I was under the impression that it would be hard to do both. 

But now that I think about all the things I've been able to juggle during my last year of undergrad, that sounds more than realistic haha. 

1 hour ago, celciuszoo said:

Is it possible to apply in the first year of your research-based masters and just dip if you get in? No one can force you to stay.. .right?

Most medical schools will require you to graduate your masters before attending medical school, some are very strict on this because they had a problem of people just ditching their research. 

Ex U of T’s admissions page

Graduate students may apply if you have completed or are currently enrolled in the final year of your graduate program. If you will not be completing your graduate degree requirements by June 30 in the proposed year of entry, you will not be considered; this policy is strictly enforced. If you re-classify from one graduate degree to another during the application cycle, you will not be considered for admission.”

“If you are offered a position on the expectation that your degree will be completed, and you are not able to meet this deadline, you will not be granted an admission deferral and will lose your seat in our program.  We require a final transcript from you, as proof of conferral of your graduate degree.”

3 hours ago, celciuszoo said:

Is it possible to apply in the first year of your research-based masters and just dip if you get in? No one can force you to stay.. .right?

McMaster doesn't care if you graduate or not so you could apply to this school in the first year of a 2 year Masters. Alternatively you could finish your 2 year masters in 1 year if you've got the right supervisors. 

Archived